Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Quest for an Australian Permit

diachi

Well good luck hope you can get your permit, and that your RPL-400 arrives back safely

switch,you have no fu#$%$# idea so shut it, and Murudai,the only people who will have these 'permits' are registered users such as university's,laser aligning tool users (which i used to do,pump aligning) and paid up members of astronomy clubs (such as myself again) the average joe hasn't got a chance mate,sorry :(

mate ,tell them NOTHING . :-X

p.s soz about the rant before,i just hate governments who try to control every aspect of our lives. :mad:

diachi

its there job ;D I hate it too, but theres not much I can do yet.

meth400 said:
switch,you have no fu#$%$# idea so shut it, and Murudai,the only people who will have these 'permits' are registered users such as university's,laser aligning tool users (which i used to do,pump aligning) and paid up members of astronomy clubs (such as myself again)  the average joe hasn't got a chance mate,sorry :(

mate ,tell them NOTHING .  :-X

p.s soz about the rant before,i just hate governments who try to control every aspect of our lives. :mad:

If you don't like your government, maybe you should move to one of the war-torn African countries, since some of them don't even have an official government  ;)

The only one you have to answer to is the AK-47

It sucks how almost everything fun to me is banned in Australia and its always because of a few idiots that spoil it for everyone. I'm an average joe under 18 so I doubt im going to have any luck getting a permit.

#1 : Do we in Australia need a permit to possess lasers now?

#2 : Has anyone successfully gotten or applied for a permit yet?

Thanks guys

diachi

1.Well yeah you do, as its illegal and you can be fined or imprisoned for 5 years.

2.That is what Murudai is doing.

Razako

It's only illegal if you get caught. Screw the government.

diachi

;D well thats what I usually say, but face it >30mW is a bit bright for in doors, and even at that , its hard to resisist the temptation to point it into the sky and at other things outside :p

Ach well you could always put a 5mW sticker on it

Okay, I gave the local firearms licenses people a call (that's who you contact).

And I got to say, I'm not convinced. From what I was hearing I don't think it'll be easy for a hobbyist to get a possession permit at all, and THEN an imports permit.

I didn't actually go up and apply for a permit, so I couldn't tell you if you could actually get one or not. But I decided I'd be better off not applying. Especially with the price tag on some of my lasers, lol

Since I'm in the ACT, and most people are in NSW, I'd suggest someone try for a permit in NSW. Might be different there, you're further from where the laws come from :D

If someone DOES get a permit they could profit^10.

If someone imported me a laser and sent it to me I would pay them 25% of what the laser cost and postage.

Yeah, but the thing is you don't really get an 'imports permit'. Instead you fill in all the forms and you get the clearance for ONE package. That's right, just one.

If you want to ship another package, well, that's some more forms and another 2-3 week waiting period.

And if you go in and start filling in a dozen of those forms, with your possession permit saying 'hobbyist', I think you'd be in a bit of trouble.

Murudai said:
Okay, I gave the local firearms licenses people a call (that's who you contact).

And I got to say, I'm not convinced. From what I was hearing I don't think it'll be easy for a hobbyist to get a possession permit at all, and THEN an imports permit.

I didn't actually go up and apply for a permit, so I couldn't tell you if you could actually get one or not. But I decided I'd be better off not applying. Especially with the price tag on some of my lasers, lol

Since I'm in the ACT, and most people are in NSW, I'd suggest someone try for a permit in NSW. Might be different there, you're further from where the laws come from  :D

I would apply for it. If anything just to prove to others that they CAN aquire their lasers legally and all hope is not lost. They are classified under weapons, correct? Well I'm sure people get permits to import guns every day, and I'm sure many of them are 'gun collectors'. Thats no different than what we're doing, so I think you'll be fine.

Just doooo it!

Well, unfortunately my time has run out. I have a 2 week course coming up, and it's full time. No time for permits.

So I'll have to look in to it after then.