Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The LEDShoppe Thread

LZR

Thanks.
My q-tip was hollow, so I just pushed some cotton gently in it, so I could get it in the hole.
The alcohol made it perfect.

I also made an cap of paper, so I can have it in my pocket without getting dust on the lens.

Last edited:

jeffd

50mw shouldnt light a match unless it focused but yours definetly should pop a balloon here is their 30mw

That laser is definitely over-spec. Not all "50mw" lasers are going to be able to pop a balloon from that far.

For a nice cap, go to the local ACE, MENARDS, etc, hardware store & ask them where they keep the silicone caps that they put on the ends of drill bits, threading taps, etc. They come in various sizes & colors. Make sure you take your laser & find a cap that fits over the tip nice & snug. They work great. I have them on ALL my pen lasers. BTW, good job with the Q-tip modification. "NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION" rob

i just ordered the 50mw pen and the 20mw keychain.

hopefully shipping doesnt take too long.

man00

I placed a order on 12/05 still waiting for mine..had worse luck with 0-like

NoXiN

I put an order in just before christmas. I suppose it will take a little longer because of the holidays.

NoXiN

FYI, received mine on Monday. Total time from order to receipt was about two weeks. Not bad. And I'm impressed with the the pointer I received. Great deal for the money.

Aahz

I am looking at buying a 50mw green from them. What is their quality?
Its got to be worse quality than the 100$ ones.

Should I buy it?

I ordered a 5mW greenie from LEDShoppe last Tuesday, hopefully I will get it sometime this week. Anyways, I've heard that these lasers may be overspec and was wondering what safety considerations I should undertake.

Also, do these LEDShoppe lasers emit a lot of hazardous IR?

Hey guys, I got my 5mW greenie last Monday, it took about two weeks. The laser was well packaged and included batteries. It also has a nice feel to it, it has some weight and doesn't feel like a cheap piece of crap.

From what I can tell it looks to be about 5mW. The beam is barely visible when it's totally dark and only if you look at it close to the actual pointer. In daylight, indoors or out the beam is not visible at all. However, it does display a nice, bright green point at the end of the beam.

So it seems like this 5mW greenie from LEDShoppe is not overspec. Which is good.

danq

From what I can tell it looks to be about 5mW. The beam is barely visible when it's totally dark and only if you look at it close to the actual pointer. In daylight, indoors or out the beam is not visible at all. However, it does display a nice, bright green point at the end of the beam.

So it seems like this 5mW greenie from LEDShoppe is not overspec. Which is good.
Maybe... how far away can you make a green point in daylight? You shouldn't expect to see the beam in daylight. Have you tried new alkaline batteries? Don't be so sure it's not over spec, unless you have experience with green lasers or something to measure power. And please, take safety precautions regardlesss of its perceived power!

To those who experience intermittent low power: one common problem wth cheap pointers is the electrical contacts - at each end of the battery, and especially where the case screws together. Also very often the switches in these are flaky... try pressing it more firmly.

DanQ

Maybe... how far away can you make a green point in daylight? You shouldn't expect to see the beam in daylight. Have you tried new alkaline batteries? Don't be so sure it's not over spec, unless you have experience with green lasers or something to measure power. And please, take safety precautions regardlesss of its perceived power!

To those who experience intermittent low power: one common problem wth cheap pointers is the electrical contacts - at each end of the battery, and especially where the case screws together. Also very often the switches in these are flaky... try pressing it more firmly.

DanQ

You can see the green point up to about ~200 feet or so in daylight. I did pop in some new alkalines as well. The beam is only slightly visible in the dark.

And of course I'm taking safety precautions, I'm not pointing at anyone or anything reflective and I am keeping out of the beams path.

danq

200 feet in daylight is pretty good for 5mW - I'd say you got at least what you ordered, maybe a bit more. You might be able to pot-mod it, I don't know... but without a power measuring device you may not see the difference... and the pot-mod could go wrong.

Have fun!

DanQ

Just order 5 x 50 mW and 2 x 10 mW laser pen from ledshoppe. I'll check the output of them when receive my package and laserbee new 200 mW LPM module.

My LED Shoppe "50mW" pen laser is often needing to be unscrewed and re-tightened to get a good elec. connect, then it goes back to >100 mW! -Glenn