Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The IR in a 50mW green laser

Lol

Hello, a while back I bought the untrue DealExtreme 50mW green laser pointer.
I have been using it for a few weeks now and I have not had any problems with it, it's a very bright and nice laser. I use it very responsibly.

Now onto the question, yesterday I felt like popping a purple balloon with a dark spot. I have been popping all my black ballons already, so I had to go with a purple one this time...pained a black spot on it and I FIRED MA LAZAR!!1. Stupid as I was, I was trying to pop the balloon on my bed which is white. I pointed at the dark spot, nothing happened, then I accidently pointed at the white bed (was like 1 feet away), so it reflected back at my eyes. I immedately pointed it back at the balloon and it popped. My eyes did not hurt until about 10 minutes later, it didn't hurt BAD, but I could feel it "burning" slightly inside my eyes. I still have perfect eye vision though :)

So, is this really dangerous for my eyes? Was it the green reflection or IR that hurt my eyes?

Thanks in advance.
Lol.

EDIT: I will definately buy safety goggles for my 100mW red which is coming soon, I will not put my eyes at risk anymore.

I think you just imagined the pain in your eyes. :)

The scattered light from one meter is pretty much harmless and will spread out on a very large area.
It don't have anything do with the wavelength, plus the IR divergence allot faster than the green.

But on the other hand, are your bed very reflective, like a shiny coat? That would make it worse, but I think you're fine. :-/

Lol

FireMyLaser said:
I think you just imagined the pain in your eyes. :)

The scattered light from one meter is pretty much harmless and will spread out on a very large area.
It don't have anything do with the wavelength, plus the IR divergence allot faster than the green.

But on the other hand, are your bed very reflective, like a shiny coat? That would make it worse, but I think you're fine. :-/
Hello.

Thank you very much for your reply, it pretty much summed up everything I was wondering about. My bed is not like a shiny coat, so, I think I am fine then :) Again, thank you sir.

Have a nice day.

Regards
Lol

Thx, lol.

I'm not a profession or anything, so if you really want to know if you're good I suggest you visit an eyedoctor.

Lol

FireMyLaser said:
Thx, lol.

I'm not a profession or anything, so if you really want to know if you're good I suggest you visit an eyedoctor.
Hehe, well, I think my eyes are good for now, but checking them wouldn't hurt.

Thanks anyways!

diachi

You should be fine, from that distance scattered light will not cause permanent damage to your eyes, it may leave spots for a little while, but thats about it.

Although, as said above, if you are worried then go see an eye doctor.

-Adam

Lol

Diachi said:
You should be fine, from that distance scattered light will not cause permanent damage to your eyes, it may leave spots for a little while, but thats about it.

Although, as said above, if you are worried then go see an eye doctor.

-Adam
Yep, ok, thank you!

:)

I have a 50mW module from Standstone11. I would guess the IR (1064nm) to be around 5 mW or so. Definitely be careful!

Benm

Dont worry, you'll be fine.

As pointed out the refection scatters so much that you never were in any danger. Just dont resist the reflex to blink in situations like these, the blink reflex is fast enough to safeguard you from a few mW directly into the eye - although that does not appy to IR!

Seeing 'spots' is by no means a sign of eye damage, and in fact a normal side effect of the normal operation of the eye. You can experience the same effect even after staring into the moon on a clear night under some circumstances. Such darker spots in vision can persist for serveral minutes at least without any damage. If they are still there after >15 minutes, start worrying.

kristopher said:
I have a 50mW module from Standstone11.  I would guess the IR (1064nm) to be around 5 mW or so.  Definitely be careful!

I have a 50mW standstone11 module. what would be the best IR filter for it :-?

at a good price to?

thx

I talked to my eye doctor and surprisingly she didn't know much about lasers. I told her I have bright green and red lasers. And she said be careful of UV light. (face=>palm)
So be xtra careful with blu-rays.

All in all if it seems bright don't look at it!!
(get someone else to look at it for you :D)

zaugger said:
[quote author=kristopher link=1227373727/0#7 date=1227501032]I have a 50mW module from Standstone11.  I would guess the IR (1064nm) to be around 5 mW or so.  Definitely be careful!

I have a 50mW standstone11 module. what would be the best IR filter for it :-?  

at a good price to?

thx[/quote]

^^^^ :-?

I was thinking about the same question. Here is a good answer:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1228171014/0

The problem with this forum is there is TOO MUCH INFO, and the searching capabilities are quite limited...

I seem to remember that in some sleds they use a dielectric mirror instead of a filter. Basically a beam splitter. But I don't think that would help in a pointer.

Anyway, hope that helps.