Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The "Ginormous Bug Eye" - 100W LED Build

rhd

The "Ginormous Bug Eye" - 100W LED Build

attachment.php

This is a (silly) build that would surely make any CPFer cry. Not because they'd be impressed, but because laugh so hard they'd fall off their chair. This may not be the most practical thing I've ever built, but for a 30-minute project, it was one of the most fun :) For a long time I've had one of those 100W LED emitter plates kicking around. I never really had an application for it.

attachment.php

With such a giant emitting surface, it's not an ideal candidate for a flashlight. Nor is its ~32 to 35V @ 3A power requirement the most practical for a portable. So after tossing around a bunch of creative driving ideas, I finally came to the conclusion that using this 100W emitter really wasn't something I wanted to pour a weekend of build time into. Instead, I decided to get creative with it!

I had a neat 4xAA host that fit the emitter and a glass lens (72mm in diameter) just perfectly. Hitting the 32V input requirement was a bit of a challenge. I tossed around the idea of using a bunch of tiny LiPo packs, until eventually it hit me - 8x 14250 cells! No modification of the battery carrier was required. Granted, these 14250s in series can't provide 3A, but they can push a little under 2A. In my experience, cheap chinese LED emitters produce about 90% of their full output, when they're at about 50% of their full current (that last 10% bump that you get from doubling their current is often just a gimmick to get the plates the highest possible power rating). So I went direct-drive from 8x 14250 cells, and thus was born this little tiny monster.

attachment.php

To put the brightness in perspective, it appeared about half as bright as my Quad-SST-90 (which I recently sold).

attachment.php

I will probably never use this flashlight for anything practical. For one, it's so g**d**m top heavy, and it really likes to roll. That is one giant piece of glass on the top. But more crucially, it really sucks to recharge 8x 14250 cells, especially when you have to use a single-channel Nano lithium ion charger.

Side-note: One of the neat bi-products of this project, was the realization that I needed a better charging solution for multiple-lithium-ions at once. That prompted me to spend some time designing this, a 24 channel current selectable (via dip-switch, probably 500mA and 100m) lithium ion charger. PCBs are en-route :) It requires an external 5V 12A power supply, but luckily those are fairly readily available.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 15,824
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 8,623
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 7,669
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4,912
  • 12 channel charger R5 (CHOP).jpg
    12 channel charger R5 (CHOP).jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 4,717

sinner

Pretty neat.. I have the 10 and 50W versions of the emitter..where did u get that lens.. ?
What if we want a collimated beam out of it just for fun!!

rhd

Pretty neat.. I have the 10 and 50W versions of the emitter..where did u get that lens.. ?
What if we want a collimated beam out of it just for fun!!

LOL, if you have a workable plan for collimating the beam of what appear to be 64 independent LED emitters on one 20x20mm emitting surface, I'll call you my God any day ;p

:crackup::crackup: I like the "bug eye" look...
Where did you get the host and the Glass lens...

Jerry

rhd

I can't remember where I got the host, but it was one of those "ten million LED" flashlights.

The glass lens was from eBay. It's actually meant for this LED emitter size. Though the reflector base was too large to fit in the host. There are a number to choose from based on size constraints:
led lens 100w | eBay

sinner

I aint no genius but i could try!!! :thinking:
a parabolic reflector would help but it wont unless u could find ideally shaped ones..

I can't remember where I got the host, but it was one of those "ten million LED" flashlights.

The glass lens was from eBay. It's actually meant for this LED emitter size. Though the reflector base was too large to fit in the host. There are a number to choose from based on size constraints:
led lens 100w | eBay

Thanks for the info and link...:beer:

Jerry

yoled3

I look for a high-power LED with adjustable focus lens or collimated with possibility to align the lens location.
Blue LED 470nm and 490nm;
Green LED 530nm.
output power preferably over 500mW. otherwise, state the available items then we will check.
We like to get the mounted LED with power supply for evaluation, then will order the LED with PCB.
Drawing, prices and detailed specs are highly appreciated.

I look for a high-power LED with adjustable focus lens or collimated with possibility to align the lens location.
Blue LED 470nm and 490nm;
Green LED 530nm.
output power preferably over 500mW. otherwise, state the available items then we will check.
We like to get the mounted LED with power supply for evaluation, then will order the LED with PCB.
Drawing, prices and detailed specs are highly appreciated.

Not the place... try the b/s/t and even then cpf would be better for you

yoled3

would you please give the site links? i am not familiar with those names. thanks a lot.

yoled3

that is again a forum. i look for a manufacturer or seller to buy the actual product. Thanks anyway.