Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The "Elite Series" from WL

T

timelord

I can smell BS and to think Athoul is still up the Chinamans arse so far he's cleaning his teeth for him ;D ;D ;D

i bet most of us cant read that as were banned

could someone print screen or copy and paste?

Well I find it hard to believe that the average output only varies by 4mw or so with Nimh vs lithiums, that sounds fishy to me.

Jase

copied and pasted by request.

Output:

Label <160mW @532nm

Getting down to business, most people want to know about the raw output power. As with previous reviews I try to include a detailed breakdown of the output over time, including the figures produced through the use of different battery types.

*30 second test period ignoring peak output for average values.

Power Source: 2xAAA Batteries

Alkalines:
Min:168.4mW
Max: 176.3mW
Average: 172.35mW
Peak:225.4mW(not included in average rating)

NiMH
Min:164.3mW
Max:174.6mW
Average: 169.45mW
Peak:207.4mW(not included in average rating)

Lithium
Min: 168.6mW
Max: 178.2mW
Average: 173.4mW
Peak:224.5mW(not included in average rating)

Testing:

Numbers are one thing, but actual results can sometimes tell a different story. Below are some tests/experiments I have done with the laser. It should give a good indication of what an “Elite Series” laser is capable of.

Cutting Black electrical tape
-To be added

Lighting Matches
-To be added

Burning through paper
-To be added

Beam Quality (this unit):
Near flawless beam characteristics are a rare thing among pen lasers. Taking a closer look at the gaussian dot profile reveals very few if any artifacts. A mode of TEM00 is maintained throughout the entire testing period. In fact the beam and dot profile are on par with the best I’ve seen in pen-style lasers.

Divergence:
Official divergence figures are currently unknown, however this unit has a measured divergence of ~0.9mRad.

Stability (this unit):

This particular unit ranks among the most stable pen laser units I have tested to date. Over a 30 second test period, allowing for a 5 second warm phase the output stability was an amazing ~5-6% fluctuation of the average observed figure. The crystal efficiency in these models is outstanding and far superior to many pen lasers that I have tested to date, easily on par with “freak unit crystal sets” that have appeared now and then.

Price: Unknown
Release Date: Unknown

Conclusion:

Over the past few years Wicked has strived to develop lasers of extraordinary quality. We have seen them go right back to the drawing board now and then in order to perfect their product. In my opinion, the “Elite Series” represents all the hard work Wicked has put into developing a truly superior pen-style laser device.

These units contain high quality IR filters and as such are the only laser in this class that I have tested to actually meet the output rating claim of over 150mW (which were not freak units). Simply put, this laser is of the highest quality I have seen in the pen-style laser class to date.

Sean.

Sounds like an amazing laser, if the facts are to be believed. I for one would love to see an independant review of this

Jase.

HAHAHA 224mW peak from a green on AAAs??? Maybe 22.4mW. I bet they'll sell it for around $700. I still think the design looks nice though. It would be nice to get the casing without the WL logos... I could use it for a IR/Red laser diode.

Doesn't someone have a CNI pen at ~174mW?

King_K

It's one of the best casings I've ever seen, but Athoul usually receives the best units while everyone else receive defective units, he's reviewed a 500mW Spyder sent to him, while all the others had trouble meeting the promised output or were simply defective.

And I guess that it's price will be at $800 or $1000 because it's "1/2 as powerful as a working Spyder II" so it's price must be the half. :-?

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole !!! At least untill some poor suckers fork out for a few and we see how they perform out in the field. If WL are selling it it will definately be over priced though, so so I wouldn't expect a bargain.

Price of a WL laser = wholesale price + WL mark up/rip off + "special" WL tax + 3-4 RMAs ;D ;D ;D

VERY nice! ;D 150mw+ pointer with chrome case!! :D a bit less divergence and it could be a very nice burner it wont surprise me if this costs $800+ :p

King K said:
It's one of the best casings I've ever seen, but Athoul usually receives the best units while everyone else receive defective units, he's reviewed a 500mW Spyder sent to him, while all the others had trouble meeting the promised output or were simply defective.

In a way, it does pay off to be a WL sheep.

And what's the duty cycle on the 'Elite?' The review only lists 30 second test periods.

A bit off topic, but is the Spyder 2 series really use a TEC for temp. regulation?
I would assume it would need a fan like the LaserGlow Hercules because TECs heat up on one side and cool down on the other... Correct?

Damn i wouldn't mind having one off those babies if they are in spec. I wander how much they are gonna charge for one :D
Anyway sounds to good to be tru 170mw in a pen hmm, the duty cycle can't be that long either. It looks very cool though amazing casing indeed. Anyhow cheers to athoul he seems to have recieved a kickass unit.

Pierce: i do believe that i read somwhere that the spyders do get very hot after they've been on for a while, so no fan probably the heat appears to be dissipated through the casing itself. Not a very good way to do it if u ask me specially in a 1600 dollar laser.

T

timelord

Steve will probably put a huge price tag on those like a thousand dollars upwards :eek: :eek: I'm sure all the wicked laser whores/fanboys will be getting in line to get one of these pieces of junk ;D ;D ;D ;D

Timelord said:
Steve will probably put a huge price tag on those like a thousand dollars upwards :eek: :eek: I'm sure all the wicked laser whores/fanboys will be getting in line to get one of these pieces of junk ;D ;D ;D ;D
hey TL, while I laugh most of the time at your comments and pics, was it really necessary to call people product whores? fanboy is fine but I just feel you went a little over on that one

on the Elites, the casing definitely is nice. One thing about WL is they know how to make nice looking lasers, and if these Elites really are what they are said to be, then wow... but yea, i really don't have high hopes for it

ixfd64

Athoul is a cool guy, but unfortunately, he's oblivious to Wicked's many "issues."