Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The best chance to get real 1w green laser.

Copy cats! For these multimode diodes, I’m surprised everyone is still using those small 6.3 mm adpheric lenses because the divergence is so bad with those you can’t put a spot on a cloud base, 2.5 mRad and above are too wide after a few hundred feet, needs to be no greater than 1.5 mRad for a 3,000 to 5,000 ft cloud base, but much better at 1.2, might seem like not much difference, but it is. I suppose it isn’t a big deal if all you want it for is close in, lots of people don’t care about divergence, they just want to see a pretty beam coming out the end, or burn. To each their own.

Nothing to my Optobeast, but if you like JL PLE-Pro host (and maybe cannot afford original) and/or wish to have cheapo laser, why not? Still the beamspecs are not really what I would go for - anyway nice "flashlight". :D

I hope the next laser evolution will be lasers combining high power with low divergence (= or < 1.2mrd and beam shaping optics.

hoo7h

I hope the next laser evolution will be lasers combining high power with low divergence (= or < 1.2mrd and beam shaping optics.

Ahhh I really hope so! It seems that high powered diodes are being used either for projectors or engravers, both of which don't mind the high divergence. The engravers just used the focal point and the diodes don't need low divergence either. But one can hope!

Since no one will make them for multimode diodes, we are having to build our own laser pointers incorporating both beam correction and a larger diameter collimation lens to get the divergence down to 1.5 or lower mRad, but very uncommon to see even those being built. I keep hoping someone will build them for us, but not holding my breath, I'll turn 450 nm and pass out if I do.

Since no one will make them for multimode diodes, we are having to build our own laser pointers incorporating both beam correction and a larger diameter collimation lens to get the divergence down to 1.5 or lower mRad, but very uncommon to see even those being built. I keep hoping someone will build them for us, but not holding my breath, I'll turn 450 nm and pass out if I do.

Sanwu could for their Challenger series. Those have modular construction.

Encap

That nobody bothers is a business decision--probably because it would have no effect on sales and just be another thing to worry about building, stocking and warrantying, would not sell well if at all, and be expensive to do.
Is a small niche within a small niche within a micro-niche market --not many people know enough to consider the questions much less purchase an answer.
Even on LPF there are what 3 or 4 people that care enough to want to play with cylinder pairs, beam correction, and beam expanders for correcting the nature of laser diodes not intended for or designed by the diode makers for use in hand held lasers.

Yeah, I think it highly unlikely any Chinese laser suppliers would consider using cyl lenses to correct divergence in these MM diodes. Far too much trouble for a tiny number of sales. It's a lot easier and more profitable to sell BEs as an accessory.

Maybe true for fancy beam correction of the slow axis output of a diode to even things up, or make the shape more square, but I am not sure it is a looser for reducing the divergence of the newer higher power laser diodes without beam correction, or without using cylinder lenses, just a longer focal length, larger diameter lens wold help a lot. More and more this will become an issue as power is increased due to wider emitters, NUBM44 an example, I believe pointers with that diode in them would sell better if their divergence was brought way down from the current ~11 mRad offerings.

That is true of experienced buyers, but I think they sell plenty to young, inexperienced people who see 7 watts and don't ask another question. The only thing going through their minds is, "I've gotta have that."

Well, JL offers beam expanders to reduce divergence and they are selling, not as fast as pointers without them I am sure, but they have reduced divergence that way and are making money on them. Although in that case, as an add on to help sell their main product.

I'm familiar with the Challenger series which is completely modular in construction. For that model an accessory could be constructed either by Sanwu or anyone with a lathe.

I have experimented with correction lenses from lasers used in printers. They seem great for producing a nice round dot at
close range but are useless for a beam set to infinity. It would be cool if someone made a beam expander with a cyl lens
tailored to the diode in use. I think that is where the problem is....different diodes have different fast/slow axis specs.

I will say that for close focus burning a cyl lens that is good grade allows for epic tiny spot size that helps even a lower
power diode burn. I have made some insanely tiny holes in white paper with 405nm diodes right around 50 mw.

Comical, but true!

My SanWu Challenger2 1 Watt 520 can be focused (close up) into a tiny spot-I was writing in wood yesterday. I do have the beam expander-not tried spot on cloud deck-as I am in a city-might give that a try in country. As mentioned by others-the beam spot is quite large at distance.
I'd be happy if they made such a lens! I did not know at first-but I've grown enough to care about divergence. :)
I have experimented with correction lenses from lasers used in printers. They seem great for producing a nice round dot at
close range but are useless for a beam set to infinity. It would be cool if someone made a beam expander with a cyl lens
tailored to the diode in use. I think that is where the problem is....different diodes have different fast/slow axis specs.

I will say that for close focus burning a cyl lens that is good grade allows for epic tiny spot size that helps even a lower
power diode burn. I have made some insanely tiny holes in white paper with 405nm diodes right around 50 mw.

Comical, but true!

Comical, but true!
If the cylindrical lenses create a circular beam the beam won't change shape at any distance. I'd say the spot you see isn't circular.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I have a R1000 stage light unit. It’s 1000mW and has a 7x7mm square beam. It can still burn, how comes your 1W 520 which will have better beam specs won’t?