Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The batteries' struggle

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
2x18350 instead of 1x18650 was for original post for anyone who missed it
a host that takes 1x18650 is usually for 3V led flashlights
for most lasers in the same host have to go the way of 2x18350 to get full output due to higher Vf of laser
another option is if there is an extension tube for host to use 2x18650 for higher capacity hence longer run times
;)
Boost drivers anyone?

nmbusa

Boost drivers anyone?
I'm more a buck driver guy anyway the point was for original post
"I recently bought a 532nm green laser from ebay, and it came without a battery. I tried it with my ecig's 18650 3.7V Li-ion battery and it seems to work like a charm, although I later found out it's supposed to be used with 2 16340 3.7V batteries (the contacts are a little loose so sometimes I need to shake it a bit to make the battery connect again)"
:coffee:

Last edited:
Sounds about right. But you'll find more long-term happiness if you choose batteries capable of at least twice what you actually expect you'll need. The lower the internal resistance of the battery the better.

A battery with twice the mAh rating is no better than a lower rated cell if it starts sagging (voltage dropping under load) when it's only half discharged.
Thank you, thank you— a million times, thank you

Commander J. Bloodmaker

Got to have 2 batts. I get my batts off ebay. The guys talking bout the extensions are right. Get one and don't worry bout the weinny batts that need charged every two mins.

Those 532nm laser pointers use an 808nm pump diode that is more often than not case positive. That means the driver cannot be a buck, but is linear. The 808nm diodes have a very low forward voltage, so you don't need extra voltage from two Li-ion batteries.