Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Testing Diodes?

Can I test a diode with a multimeter or anything to make sure it is working? I have a blue ray diode I want to put in a module but the last thing I want is to install the module and it doesn't work...

It's not as easy as a red where you can just quickly connect a battery for a few seconds, which is risky.

daguin

lamborgini8 said:
Can I test a diode with a multimeter or anything to make sure it is working? I have a blue ray diode I want to put in a module but the last thing I want is to install the module and it doesn't work...

It's not as easy as a red where you can just quickly connect a battery for a few seconds, which is risky.

I keep a spare "full range" Rkcstr with wire leads attached for just this purpose. A couple of very quick solders and I can test the diode at operating current.

Peace,
dave

It is not infalable but if your DVM has a diode test setting (usually the same setting as buzz for continuity), probe the + - pins, one way round you will get zeros, the other you will get around 1.4, if so there is some chance of life,  if you get zero both ways it is almost certainly dead.

Regards rog8811

I just checked a few of my DMMs and found that on the Diode Test setting...
the leads have about 2.6VDC on them... so it seems that this is viable way to
check Laser Diodes... :cool:

Jerry

rog8811 said:
It is not infalable but if your DVM has a diode test setting (usually the same setting as buzz for continuity), probe the + - pins, one way round you will get zeros, the other you will get around 1.4, if so there is some chance of life,  if you get zero both ways it is almost certainly dead.

Regards rog8811

Actually I only just got myself a multimeter from one of the spares at work and to be honest with you, 99% of all the numbers on the selection thing mean absolutely nothing to me...

As for your other way, I have no spare drivers and I don't have any soldering equipment here.

Can I test a diode with a multimeter or anything to make sure it is working? :-/
Post a clear picture of the front of the DVM, it seems a shame not knowing how to use it ;)
Regards rog8811