Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TEC TTL, Analog Modulation

I know there's a few threads out there on this, but here's a few questions I didn't find...

Which is more expensive, TTL or Analog modulation? Is there any preference for general use? (like stability, heating, etc)

Is there a significant difference between TTL and Analog, in terms of physical size, power consumption, power requirements, etc?

Also, what does this modulation physically do to the laser beam? I'm a bit confused as to how this modulation works... thanks!

DrSid

Can't talk about size and so on .. but it modulates current to the diode, which controls the power of the beam. The laser diode output depends on the current in almost linear fashion. There is however some lower limit to the output power, below which the diode will only generate non-coherent light. It is usually about 10% of the nominal output, or even less.
And with TTL it simply cuts the power to the diode all together .. nothing fancy there ..

I know there's a few threads out there on this, but here's a few questions I didn't find...

Which is more expensive, TTL or Analog modulation? Is there any preference for general use? (like stability, heating, etc)

analog is OFTEN more $$- afik not diff in heating or stability

Is there a significant difference between TTL and Analog, in terms of physical size, power consumption, power requirements, etc?

NO

Also, what does this modulation physically do to the laser beam? I'm a bit confused as to how this modulation works... thanks!

TTL Blanking means (in a rgb show projector) all on or all off- & thus SEVEN colors ONLY -any cheap PJ that the seller 'claims' full color is BSing you.

only ananlog RGB can make more colors(millions) as it allows one to control how much the output is in each laser module. Modulation out side a PJ IMO has no use afaik
- wont find this in ANY hand held laser. This blanking is accomplished in a way that is not harmful to the laser module- This is NOT the same as manually turning a laser on & off- and THAT is bad for the laser.

hope this helps
hk

Ok, and is there a way to adjust the TTL or analog modulation? Since the analog allows the user to vary the output power, is there a knob or something on, for instance, the lab module that allows this to be achieved? And TTL says full output on or nothing at all, so then how is that different from just an on/off switch on a lab module, for example?

Ok, and is there a way to adjust the TTL or analog modulation?
Of course- useless if not.
the extra two red/black wire if present control the modulation at 5vdc- MOST analog labbies wil NOT work at all unless you put 5 vdc to those wires- there is also =on some an unused female jack where you plg the wires to run your modulation. ALSO any analog is also a TTL but no TTL only is also analog.

Since the analog allows the user to vary the output power, is there a knob or something on, for instance, the lab module that allows this to be achieved? And TTL says full output on or nothing at all, so then how is that different from just an on/off switch on a lab module, for example?

Blanking 'by hand' is very bad for most lasers. TTL is not done by simply switching the power on & off-
i do have a analog 1W green lab laser that has such a output 'knob' to be able to dial the output up or down and of course also a place to wire the modulation to the laser Pj. BUT VERY few labbies have these knobs

Last edited:
Ok, and is there a way to adjust the TTL or analog modulation? Since the analog allows the user to vary the output power, is there a knob or something on, for instance, the lab module that allows this to be achieved? And TTL says full output on or nothing at all, so then how is that different from just an on/off switch on a lab module, for example?

ttl and analog drivers have a secondary control voltage which is 5v. analog and ttl are both capable of very high speed switching.

how about instead of all the back and forth you just say what you are trying to do, and we can help you accordingly.

Michael.

Oh I'm just looking for information :D sorry for the confusion!

So both TTL and Analog do not change the CW output of the laser at all, they just assess the input voltage and adjust the laser output accordingly?

EDIT: It seems that analog is more advantageous to TTL... so then what is TTL useful for? Why do people get a TTL modulated module instead of an analog module?

Last edited:
Oh I'm just looking for information :D sorry for the confusion!

So both TTL and Analog do not change the CW output of the laser at all, they just assess the input voltage and adjust the laser output accordingly?

EDIT: It seems that analog is more advantageous to TTL... so then what is TTL useful for? Why do people get a TTL modulated module instead of an analog module?

ttl does not change total output of 1 single laser.. it is either on or off. But if you had 3 lasers full on, then ttl turns 1 off then yes, you would have less total power.

analog, does vary the power from all the way off all the way to max set power. This is how 3 different colored laser can give you millions of perceived colors

Michael.

daguin

It would appear that he is trying to get an education without reading the forum or taking any classes

Take the time to read through ALL of the stickies hwang

Many, maybe most, of your questions will be answered

The laser hobby has a "steep" learning curve at the beginning

Take some time to allow that learning to take place

As you can see in just this thread, people are beginning to tire of constant questions

You CANNOT learn ALL of it at once.

Focus on one area at a time

Peace,
dave