Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Teacher pointed a laser at my friend's eye! Is he going to be ok!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have a friend in Georgia (the state) who goes to a community college there. Today, in one of his classes, a teacher confiscated a green laser pointer from a student or something, and, for whatever reason, started waving it around the class. It hit my friend in the eye for a brief moment, and his eye started hurting. He doesn't know how strong the laser was, just that supposedly it was 'high-powered'. He says that his eye no longer hurts, but I am worried that there might be long-term damage! Is he going to be okay!? Should he go to a hospital to have it checked out?
Also, was it illegal for the teacher to shine the laser at him like that?

anselm

Report the teacher to the principal, have your friend see a doctor. And make sure the
teacher pays for the visit.

Your friend's eye is likely OK, but you don't wanna take any chances.

If your friend can't even tell if there's damage or not, why see a doctor? It's not going to get worse; he's fine.

But yeah, definitely get the teacher reported. This is serious stuff...

Last edited:
Alright! I'll tell him to do what you guys said! I think I'm going to tell him to get it checked out just in case, and I'm DEFINITELY telling him to report his teacher. I'm appalled a teacher would act that irresponsibly...
And thanks for the quick responses!

Arayan

It's not good for a teacher does not know the dangers of an action like this... I hope that he/she is not a physics teacher :D

Teachers don't know EVERYTHING, how can they know that a laser pointer is dangerous, when laser pointers are inherently NOT dangerous?

If it truely was a high-powered portable laser, then how come you didn't reprimand your friend for bringing it to class?

All of you punks jump in and flame the teacher, when nobody says squat about the kid who brought a weapon into a classroom.

Besides, in life you want to make win-win situations. How about you, your friend, and his teacher all get together. Friend needs to understand that he shouldn't bring lasers to class. Teacher needs to understand that lasers can be very dangerous without looking like it. Perhaps you can work something out where teacher doesn't get reported to the principal, repay the favor by giving your friend his laser back, everybody happy!

Last edited:

Arayan

Teachers don't know EVERYTHING, how can they know that a laser pointer is dangerous, when laser pointers are inherently NOT dangerous?

this is not true, even the Class II laser pointers that I normally use for lessons or conferences are dangerous if pointed directly into the eyes. BTW the advice is good ;)

All lasers are dangerous, thats why they have the warning sticker saying don't point at eyes !!!!

Alright! I'll tell him to do what you guys said! I think I'm going to tell him to get it checked out just in case, and I'm DEFINITELY telling him to report his teacher. I'm appalled a teacher would act that irresponsibly...
And thanks for the quick responses!

you said a community college, the teacher confiscated it?

last time I was at a college (last year) it was for adults.
Being an adult, I would simply tell the professor they cannot have it.

If it truely was a high-powered portable laser, then how come you didn't reprimand your friend for bringing it to class?

He didn't say the student that brought it in was his friend.

Besides, in life you want to make win-win situations. How about you, your friend, and his teacher all get together. Friend needs to understand that he shouldn't bring lasers to class. Teacher needs to understand that lasers can be very dangerous without looking like it. Perhaps you can work something out where teacher doesn't get reported to the principal, repay the favor by giving your friend his laser back, everybody happy!

I like this. :)

Benm

I think its still irresponsible behaviour on the teachers part. Surely it could be considered wrong to bring a powerful laser to class. Bringing a chainsaw would also be a bad idea, but you wouldn't expect a teachter to fire that up and hurl it around the classroom, now would you?

A teacher could be reasonable expected that -some- lasers can in fact be dangerous, and since he doesn't know anything about the origin or properties of the laser, activating it is taking a chance with danger which imo is hard to justify since it doesnt serve any purpose at all.

Another LPF trollfest....lovely!

We've been having a lot of these lately haven't we?

Really? His eye was hurting? You don't even feel pain coming from the back of your eye. Sound pretty looney to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.