Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Swim's NEW Overspec 5mW Pen Shop *OUT OF STOCK*

Re: Swim's NEW Overspec 5mW Pen Shop *IN STOCK*

Aw, that's disappointing.

The super overspecs were really good in that batch... I was hoping to get a good 70 mW-90 mW one!

Could you test the new batch whenever you get them and let me know the outputs?

Thanks!

Yeah the last batch was unnaturally good.. I'll definitely test the next and let you all know!

PM me if you ordered a super from me and you're from Singapore and never received the laser.. Just got returned to sender with a "unclaimed" thing on it...

Jaxz

PM me if you ordered a super from me and you're from Singapore and never received the laser.. Just got returned to sender with a "unclaimed" thing on it...
I did, already pm'ed

So are these lasers outputting an average of 70mw out a 5mw rated diode? Wouldn't that decrease the life of the diode very much? Or make it unstable like some people posted?

the diode is a watt or 2 of IR the flickering is the dpss sled or assembly or what ever its called, need more power, less power, more temp, or less temp, allot of things can cause it, but I don't use primary batteries in any laser so I can't tell you what brand to use, I use 3.7 volt charged up to 4.2v for every build I use. Also I don't make dpss Yes putting more power though them will decrease their life span, including the IR diode, driver, and the crystal maybe even the mirror lol. They all degrade faster but for this price who cares.

Last edited:

Hiemal

I got a tracking number given to me today swim; Are you just getting the shipments ready when you get the new stock? :beer:

Could someone please explain this to me??
How are these different from pot modded 5mw pens??
Everyone seems to be grabbing a few, so I must be missing something here?

Hiemal

They're not pot modded pens...

Almost all DPSS systems have varying efficiencies. Some are more efficient than others. When chinese manufacturers make the laser pens they usually try to bin them according to power output. However, with Swim's case, the pens are binned by him based off of their output. Higher outputs = super overspec. Kind of higher output = Sorta overspec.

They're all technically the same exact thing, but due to the way DPSS is made they all vary a bit output power wise. The crystals may be more aligned, better quality crystals, whatever, it all increases or decreases the power output depending on how well done the system is.

They're not pot modded pens...

Almost all DPSS systems have varying efficiencies. Some are more efficient than others. When chinese manufacturers make the laser pens they usually try to bin them according to power output. However, with Swim's case, the pens are binned by him based off of their output. Higher outputs = super overspec. Kind of higher output = Sorta overspec.

They're all technically the same exact thing, but due to the way DPSS is made they all vary a bit output power wise. The crystals may be more aligned, better quality crystals, whatever, it all increases or decreases the power output depending on how well done the system is.

So the difference is in the diode itself, and not how the driver is set up?

Hiemal

It has to do with the system...

DPSS stands for Diode pumped solid state.

There's a high powered IR laser diode (808 nm) in the laser that pumps a crystal, which turns it into 1064 nm. Then, a crystal called KTP doubles the frequency into 532 nm, and depending on how efficient it is more or less of the IR is turned into green.

It has to do with the system...

DPSS stands for Diode pumped solid state.

There's a high powered IR laser diode (808 nm) in the laser that pumps a crystal, which turns it into 1064 nm. Then, a crystal called KTP doubles the frequency into 532 nm, and depending on how efficient it is more or less of the IR is turned into green.

Oh.. so it's a difference in frequency doubling efficiency.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Can someone upload some pictures of the green ones? How good are they compared to cheap Chinese ones? Are they back-open?