Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Lasers Copper Heatsink

Hey guys. Just had a quick question about the extended copper heat sink and the tapered one- Heat Sink Assemblies. Is the tapered one only for looks or does it actually have a benefit? Also, won't the copper oxidize and change color?

:thanks:

Hey guys. Just had a quick question about the extended copper heat sink and the tapered one- Heat Sink Assemblies. Is the tapered one only for looks or does it actually have a benefit? Also, won't the copper oxidize and change color?

:thanks:

In this case the copper heat-sink has mainly an advantage and a disadvantage.

The advantage is that you can have the laser ON for longer periods than with the same but in aluminum.

The disadvantage is that compared to the aluminum heat-sinks, the copper takes longer to cool, which means that the
waiting time after use the laser, and use it again is longer.

It is true that pure copper, with heat and oxygen, moisture and others, produces an oxide surface layer and Tarnish.

Some polishing products for metals (for copper in this case) contain some additives to prevent as far as possible the oxidation.

The benzotriazole, is highly effective corrosion inhibitor for copper.

Last edited:
Pif, you're wrong - copper doesn't take longer to cool. It gets rid of heat faster than aluminum does - just doesn't drop in temperature as quickly as aluminum does.

Pif, you're wrong - copper doesn't take longer to cool. It gets rid of heat faster than aluminum does - just doesn't drop in temperature as quickly as aluminum does.

It's like the same that I've tried to say that with my bad English.

Misunderstanding of my words, for I may not have explained properly.

Wolf, A little of piety for me, not my first language, not even close :eek: :p

Last edited:
Pity granted!

I know it's not your first language, just didn't want others misunderstanding :)

So do you guys think I should get the copper heat sink for their 1.4 watt laser? Also, do you guys know what the use of the tapered heat sink is?

Yes. The copper heatsink is best for maximal heatsinking. The tapered heat sink A) looks better and B) has more mass.

Oh ok. I wish they could color coat the copper heat sink though.