Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Super Boost Drives (5.5+ amp capability!!)

Hiemal

Hi everyone!!

I've been working on this

http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/superboost-drive-93418-3.html#post1359424

for a while now, improving the design and making it all around better.

They are 12 mm by 9.25 mm. A little larger than the flexdrive.

Here are some pictures!!

ztbzJdI.jpg

ci29pJC.jpg

Y5Vm7yn.jpg

They feature some ridiculous current capabilities. I've gotten over 5 amps of current with my NCR18650B cells, boosting from 3.7 volts to 5.2 volts. Your results may vary, and depending on your cells you can possibly get even MORE current.

The driver itself is completely labeled, too, no need for a manual for hooking this up. :yh:

The MUSTS:

You MUST heatsink the back of the driver with a thermal pad across the mosfet and diode if you are planning on using this driver for more than 1.8 amps. If more than 3 amps, I also recommend heatsinking the inductor too. The more heatsinking, the more current you can get out of the driver.

Your batteries MUST be good quality cells; Ultrafires, and other no name generic brands will NOT work and will sag too much to be useful for this driver. IMR cells are probably going to be the best, since they have the lowest internal resistance, and thus the least amount of voltage sag.

You MUST use high quality thick gauge wire for the inputs. I'm talking at least 20 gauge, or double up some thinner gauge wire. Keep your leads short too, to minimize voltage drops.

Some more information:

These drivers do have thermal protection of sorts built in; if it gets too hot, the current output will drop considerably. Do NOT abuse this feature, since it is purely there for emergencies in case the driver gets removed from its heatsink. Always, always heatsink this driver when using high currents.

The ripple while boosting from 3.7 volts to 5.2 volts at 5.1 amps was about 200 mA. This is with the sagged cells, and a good amount of heat so keep this in mind.

It is fully adjustable across a wide range of currents (700 mA to 5+ amps). The potentiometer is on the front of the driver, for ease of access when dialing in your current.

They can boost up to 10 volts. At these voltages, however, the current capability is greatly diminished.

History of the driver;

1st Edition;

Max of 3 amps roughly. Poor heatsinkability and heavily heavily relies upon good batteries.

2nd Edition;

Max of 4.5 amps roughly. Poor heatsinkability, but relies less upon good batteries.

3rd Edition;

Max of 5+ amps (no true limit tested). Great heatsinkability (all heatsinkable components on one side), and finally achieved original starting design expectations. Not the final design!!

Last edited:

Hiemal

Re: Super Boost Drives (4.5+ capability!!)

OP updated, I have two test boards for sale for $17 each plus $2 shipping. They still work 100%, just an outdated version of the board that requires creative heatsinking to work at maximum currents.

Hiemal

Re: Super Boost Drives (5+ amp capability!!)

Original Post updated with new, appropriate information, and new pictures.

Hiemal

Re: Super Boost Drives (5+ amp capability!!)

Original post updated. More for sale, and depending on demand more will be made next week.

Hiemal

SuperBoost, yeah.

OP is updated with appropriate links. I'm no longer selling these myself, Moh is stocking them in his store.

Anyone used one of these for the new NUBM44 diode yet? I have a SuperBoost and a perfect host/heatsink laying around. Just have to pull the trigger on ordering the diode.

Jstr

Nope, but having used it, I would say it is perfect for the job. Although you must use a high quality IMR cell (at least 18650 size) and heatsink the driver well. I thought about using it for mine, but I already had an SXD in my host.

Anyone used one of these for 4.5 or 5 amps yet? I've got one, and I'm trying to decide between using it or an SXD.