Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Super 3 Amp V2.1 test load

Re: Theres a new load in town

I've noticed the same thing gillza, I have a driver that will put 330ma through a 445, and I tested 405 and 650 and got 100ma and 480ma respectively.

I think it depends some on the driver you are using, I did a test with just one Li cell and with a Micro-Boost driver which has a max output of 1000ma.

The Li cell put out 407ma at 4.12 volts into the loads blue setting or 6 load diodes, when the switch was moved to red or 4 load diodes the current went up to 1120ma and the voltage dropped to 3.85 volts.
This gives a idea of what the load dose to the voltage and current.

With the Micro-Boost drive hooked up and set to 218ma out the load voltage was 3.69volts on the blue setting, when the the switch was moved to the red setting it went to 574ma @ 3.13 volts.

current set here on blue .............and then switched to red
329ma 3.95v ------------------- 574ma 3.13v
382ma 4.02v ------------------- 574ma 3.13v
547ma 4.29v ------------------- 759ma 3.35v
700ma 4.49v ------------------- 760ma 3.34v
981ma 4.90v -------------------- 992ma 3.62v

hope this helps...

gillza

The Li cell put out 407ma at 4.12 volts into the loads blue setting or 6 load diodes, when the switch was moved to red or 4 load diodes the current went up to 1120ma and the voltage dropped to 3.85 volts.
This gives a idea of what the load dose to the voltage and current.

With the Micro-Boost drive hooked up and set to 218ma out the load voltage was 3.69volts on the blue setting, when the the switch was moved to the red setting it went to 574ma @ 3.13 volts.

current set here on blue .............and then switched to red
329ma 3.95v ------------------- 574ma 3.13v
382ma 4.02v ------------------- 574ma 3.13v
547ma 4.29v ------------------- 759ma 3.35v
700ma 4.49v ------------------- 760ma 3.34v
981ma 4.90v -------------------- 992ma 3.62v

hope this helps...

Actually this is another point, I notice, a lot of members here overlook.
Since the Resistor is in series with the diodes whatever voltage you are measuring across it to get the current, it should be ADDED to your total voltage drop across the entire test load.

For low currents this may not be an issue since it is a small number. However, for lets say 9mm 445nm diode at 2.1A with the forward voltage of 4.8V (as measured by Lazeerer and DTR) you can't use the same number of diode in the load (6 diodes) you used for lower currents. If you do, you are overtaxing the driver significantly during current setting with the load and later on it will result in higher current output (than what you have set it to) when connected to the actual laser diode.

If you use 6 diodes with Vf of lets say 0.8V each (4.8V load total ) you have to add extra 2.1V to the total drop which will result in 6*0.8V+2.1V=6.9V. So instead of 2.1A at 4.8V you have set your driver to 2.1A at 6.9V with the fixed load. Once you actually connect the driver to the Laser Diode instead of 6.9V it has to drop only 4.8V and thus it will Bump up the current, possibly killing the LD... And I'm not even taking into account the increase in Vf for each test load diode with higher currents..

All this is to say that loads with multiple jumpers allow one to set the driver precisely and avoid possible surprises

Last edited:

The voltages given in post 18 was taken from across the whole load or the load diodes and the resistor, not just the load diodes, just so you will know.

Last edited:

RDTech

Well I just finished the first new V1.2 Super 3Amp test load and it works great, here is a few pictures.

As you can see there is machining involved and these are very ruggedly made so they are not cheap so think about it, you will never burn it out or need to buy an other load again.

They can take 3 amps all day long and not burn out, if you have a bunch of drivers that can do 4 or 5 amps just put a small fan on the fined part of the heat sink, it can take it :)

The copper heat sink model is $65.00 and the all aluminum heat sink model is $55.00 plus shipping and fees.

Here are some test leads I made up that will make connecting the load
to your meter much easier, they are $6.00 per set.

Thanks for looking...
FYMPRO

After my long anticipated arrival of the new and better LOAD, I am very excited and was ready to put it thoug the paces. It operated just fine. The sheer bulk of the heatsink with the simple switch & riveted Diodes is GREAT.

The workmanship is beautiful as I have come to expect from ANY of your machine work or otherwise. The unit is the most robust. I have here and It is now part of a permanent fixture on my work bench.

Two ++ for you!!

Thanks Mitch for the kind words, I have to say though the diodes are not riveted they are button head stainless steel allen screws holding them in place, put your glasses on man :crackup:

I must say aluminum rivets aren't a bad idea though :thinking:

Last edited:

Aluminum rivets wreak of "cheap". Stick with the Screws.
Looks more professional...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

I agree and that is why I don't use aluminum rivets, SS cap head screws are much better :)

Aluminum rivets wreak of "cheap". Stick with the Screws.
Looks more professional... Jerry

BTW I made a new version of my diode extractor see>

A new and better diode extractor press is now available, the hex end for the allen wrench was breaking a on
a couple of them so this mod will stop that, now with a bigger head.

Version 1.2

Any one that has a broken one may exchange it for the new model just send in the broken SS part and I'll send you a new V1.2 part :)

Here is a link to some other fine laser tools> http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/flaminpyros-stuf-67118.html#post966672

Special for the rest of the month $5.00 off either model the copper or aluminum new Super 3 Amp test load :D

Can you show me how to build this. I have it all setup I just don't know how these conectors go.