Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suckyness!!

last night my gf accidently sat on our laptop and broke the screen!! its still ok i guess. but kinda bad the specs on it are good ima have to pay 120 dollars and get a new screen. unless someone knows where to get one cheaper!! or has one the model is
toshiba satellite a215 and its 15.4 wide screen it is irrelevant but it has dual core 64 bit amd turion, 2gb ram 256 ati radeon etc lol and a messed up screen!

rkcstr

You can try searching Ebay for replacements, but $120 is a good price if that is screen and labor. My old Dell Inspiron cost about $150 to get a screen off Ebay.

you could probably replace the screen yourself, i bet all you need is a bunch of tiny screwdrivers. but i've never done it before, do research via google!

rkcstr

Replacing the screen is simple.  Usually just some screws (or careful prying) to get the bezel off, some screws to remove the LCD from the frame (and maybe some wire clamps as well), then it usually just plugs into the MB or GPU (if its separate from the MB). Then insert new screen and reassemble!

If you're not very good at tinkering with delicate stuff (if you're building lasers, I would hope you are!), then you may want someone else to do it since the cables, connectors and other things in there can break very easily with mishandling.

Things

My laptop line has a white line down the screen, its about 6 pixels wide. I would replace the screen, but I dont know if I can be bothered (or afford) to buy a new screen. I have kind got used to it, the only times I notice it is when im watching a movie, or it gets in the way of some text. It seems maybe a connection has gone loose or open circuit.