Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Studies about animals react on lasers

Mo13

I have three chihuahuas. Two of them will completely ignore all lasers. The third, who is very skiddish, will look at the dot the second it comes on, but then will immediately ignore it and go back to whatever he was doing.

+1 Ash for the best videos I've seen all day.

I'm scared to even test how my dog reacts, i find it hard to look at the dot of a bright green laser and i think dogs have even more sensitive eyes than humans.

I'm not sure if a dogs eye is more sensitive than a humans, but different dogs have different eye configurations. Generally though they have trouble identifying certain colours, so they have similar vision to people with red-green colour blindness I believe.

Cats on the other hand definitely have more sensitive eyes, particularly the design of a cats eye means it takes in far more of the available light, so people should be careful with cats and lasers.

I wouldn't recommend using anything more powerful than 1-5mW for pet teasing duties, closer to 1mW is probably better for cats.

benmwv

I know that bats will go after a beam. If I shine a 200mw green or a 445 up in the air bats will fly straight through the beam every minute or so.

I can probably get a video of a large group if cows (some bulls in there :evil:) to see what they do with a laser. My neighbor has like 300 acres and lots of cows and about every two weeks he put the cow on the mountain beside my house for a day or two. (luckily he rotates them between different areas of his property and this keeps it from ever smelling like poop) I can't do a high power red though as my only high power red recently died. I'll try high power green, 445, BR and a low power red. Maybe even IR just to see if they can see it.

I used to have some exotic pets but I never tried lasers on them. I had a chameleon, I bet that would be an interesting reaction.

Ash

All I can say is that you have to video that. :crackup:

Fenzir

Baby cousins love 1mw reds. Never dared to show my laser collection to anybody but my immediate family and friends though. One of my dogs is really fat and lazy, a rat terrier, I point out the dot (red, green, violet), he smells it and moves on. My energetic bichon frise does the same thing. Pretty disappointed to be honest.

benmwv

Ok guys I will try next time the cows are out by my house, but it may be a week or so before they are. He seems to just change them between the fields at random. And if I miss it one day then it will be a while before I have another chance...

Mo13

Ok guys I will try next time the cows are out by my house, but it may be a week or so before they are. He seems to just change them between the fields at random. And if I miss it one day then it will be a while before I have another chance...

No pressure! You'll just leave us all severely depressed if you miss the next day and keep us waiting.

Lol, jk.

btc5

Anyone know what is dogs' sensitivity to infrared pointers 808nm ? Do they see infrared ?

@btc5
You sir, deserve a prize!

You got neg rep from 06-24-2012, probably older, and, more than a year after that, You necropost on a more than 2 year old thread.

That proves you probably didn't read the rules yet, and most amazing yet, ignored all the advice members may have given you!

Congratulations!!

May I ask you how old are you, just for the lulz?

Last edited: