Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stripping Anodise With Hydroxide

Spooky

Depends on how strong the solution is Cheech, also keep in mind that CS affects plastics too so avoid Q-tips with plastic "sticks" if possible.(it tends to destroy the joint between the tip and the stick)
I'd say give it a go with a test piece before trying it out on your Laser to be honest

cheers

Dave

i have a groove that needs the anodizing removed from the threads etc. i'm going to try applying an NaOh solution with a q-tip or something. will i be able to see the solution doing it's work?

Ok for the threading on the tail cap and head pieces, you can dip them up to the top thread in a solution of NaOH. Be careful of the meniscus though, as this raises the level of the solution in direct contact with the piece. This is why I said to the top thread! ;) If you dip it further you risk removing the anodizing on the sides of the parts.

For the tube I use a dremel with a steel brush, just take care at the tip of the host ie at the top of the threads at each end of the host as it is very easy to slip. You also need to use a dremel inside the body of the tail cap to allow electrical connection with the switch. Dont forget to remove the anodising where the diode will sit too, which will enable better thermal conductivity from the diode to the host body - If you are careful you can actually do this during the solution dip on the head. ;)

If you need any help or further advise with your groove let me know via PM. :beer:

Last edited:
thanks spooky and grainde! i have no dremel, but i do have pure lye. i'll try a bit on the threads to see how it goes. will i see any visible change when the anodizing is dissolved?

thanks spooky and grainde! i have no dremel, but i do have pure lye. i'll try a bit on the threads to see how it goes. will i see any visible change when the anodizing is dissolved?

It will look a dull grey black after a min or two. Dont use a solution that is too strong ie it shouldnt bubble excessively. You can test if it has worked with a DMM. Wash with lots of running water and then buff (I use the dremel for this with a brass brush, but you could just use a wire brush or very fine sand paper). Be really careful not to get any drips on the outside of the host! Good luck :beer:

Last edited:
This reminds me, I need to put my groove's switch together and remove the anodizing. Thanls for the tips, fellas :beer:

i did some more reading and found that greased lightning works and i found some under the sink. a 5 minute soak and a bit of scraping later i have continuity everywhere i need. now to dig out (find) my iron and soon i'll have a nice 650 groove!
thanks for all the help guys:beer:

Last edited: