Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

StarWarz CO2 Power

I would actually be willing to buy one of these if you ever plan on making and selling.

How much did it take to make this one?

The tube is excited by RF energy at about 27 MHz.

As for costs ----
CO2 Tube and PS --- $350
32 Volt source --- 140
PWM driver --- 30
ZnSe Lens --- 100
Housing --- ?

Prices depend on what you want to do. This is approximate. If you want a beam expander, add another $80. Some of this is dependant on you doing the machine work and assembly.

HMike

Those "hobby" cells are small and hold a lot of energy for the size. For now, I staying with standard round cells -- I think these will do fine.
Thanks for the update on cell technology however. Those may someday make for small POWER!!!

HMike

They are actually round cylinder type cells. Just so ya know. BTW nice build.

Here is one with solder tabs
A123S.jpg

My 25650 cells are rated 2C but someone on CPF said they would easily go > 12 Amps. So far, These are great cells.
I don't have video knowledge but the laser lives again.

HMike

Arayan

Ultimately, how much voltage and current requires the StarWarz?

Arayan --

My particular laser and driver requires a single 28 to 34 volt DC supply providing 12 AMPS! These 8 cells at full charge have 33.6 volts and easily light it up. If I turn down the PWM driver, it will drop to about 6 Amps and ~ 3 Watts output.

HMike

Arayan ---
I'm now to the point of determining the focus adjustments for my 2.5x and 4x expanders. It is difficult because the paper targets start burning in the house before I get the spot size set :eg: I have set fire to cardboard at 35' with the "long" expander.
I also need to add the targeting laser and maybe a fan.

HMike

Arayan

I think that for a "thermal demonstration" you don't need to focus the beam, right? :D However it is always better to focus the laser beam to obtain a more impressive result.

BTW have you built the beam expanders, or you bought them?

The beam will burn without focusing -- about a 0.2" dot. A 5" FL lens is good for close up stuff.
I build my expanders. The 2.5x expander is shown on the front in the picture.
Remember, use ZnSe "glass" lenses. They are yellow colored.

HMike

Arayan

Thanks again :) ...you use some special material for blocking unwanted scattered radiation (at the end of the beam)?