Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Starting a project - Help with choosing laser needed

Chezyy

Hi! I need help choosing a good laser diode type for a project I am starting. I want to be able to ignite small, semi-dead pieces of wood. I'm hoping for diodes under $300 but I'm open to all suggestions. Many thanks!

405nm (think black-light on crack) has a small dot (consengtrates the power ) and IMO is the best diode for engraving etc- it is also (IMHO) the most dangerous as to the uninformed they appear to not be very bright-- bad wavelength to allow kiddos to 'PLAY with' no laser is a toy-- even the red cat toy lasers. Only one really enjoying is the one holding the pointer--- cruel to make a pet chase something they can never catch.. much worse for dogs IMO.

You dont have to believe me--see what 'the dog whisperer' says--

I know he talks about lasers on his shows--but in a search I could not find much w/ the dog whisperer...on this topic...
however here are a link to search and one good one I found.

edit update

Mr Murphy at LPS.org has the very best advice concerning lasers and our pets--
Some of what he tells us may NOT make you happy--he agrees with Caesar and myself 100%--
here:

LPS needs to be visited often--many new stuff on a regular basis--- his advice might save you from jail/prison.
He has awesome credentials . He was involved with Pangolin from the start-has been president of ILDA and does LPS as a free service...(make a donation if you like!!)--- personally I do not care if a laser gets you into trouble-- enjoy jail- AND get banned from owning any laser for life!!!
- I do, however, care about this forum and its members--EVERY time a new laser incident gets reported we get closer to a ban in USA of ALL LASERS over 5mW (portables). This has happened to many other countries.. it can happen here--
hak

I had a friend whose dog was badly obsessed trying to catch any bright lights he saw--- & it happened the first time the dog saw a laser-- afaik there is no way to treat this problem easily--- get off the couch and take your dogs for long walks!!

Last edited:
How have you decided a laser is the only option here?

We can help you a lot better if you tell us about your project instead of give vague specifications.

I don't know about you, but I'd try igniting fully dead pieces of wood first, the semi-dead don't burn as well.