Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Star Trek Phaser mod by "Pat"

I have built special heatsinks for one of my customers for almost a year now. I have finally had a chance to play with the lasers he has been building with them.

OK, so this mod is made famous by our friend KipKay, the main difference here is that these are done with proper drivers, heatsinks and.. well, they are already built. Most of us here would rather build something like this ourselves, but if you would rather just purchase one of these, these are the way to go.

The Goodies:
The units I have to review are both "Type 2 replica Phasers", the classics that many of us grew-up with.

One unit is built with a SF-AW210 Blu-Ray diode from Hightecdealz.com, powered by a Flex-Drive. This laser produces 170mW through a Aixiz Glass lens, coated for 405nM.

The other unit is a Long Closed Can-650nM diode powered by a Rkstr-driver set to 410mA, producing 260mW through an Aixiz Glass-lens, coated for red. This unit is also fitted with a special focus-adapter made by Jayrob

Both units still have the original sound-effect that goes with the firing of a "Starfleet-weapon" There is a knob at the rear of the body that selects either "sound 1", "sound 2" or a middle-position that is off "safe?"

About the use:
Well let me start by saying, I am not a "Trekky", but these are iconic. I will also admit, that while I did not expect much from this sort of device, it is amazing-fun to blast balloons with these things, crazy fun! Something about it being in a gun configuration added with the sound-effects. I will say this, you don't have to worry much about duty-cycle with these, the sounds is pretty loud, so you won't leave it on for more than a few seconds.

The Red-version also has a custom focus-adapter, made by Jayrob that works fantastic. Without the focus-adapter, you must unscrew the end-cap to refocus your focal-point. The workmanship on the small aluminum-part is superb, as we have come to expect from Jay!

Quality:
While these were not for me to keep, I am helping a friend is a "trekky", but I have had one for almost a year with a PHR in it. Still works great and on it's first battery! They seam to be built really well with the long-term operation being a key-concern. These should last for a very long-time.

Contacting Pat for more info:
Pat does not have a computer, but he uses a smartphone for all of his web-service. He reads a lot here, but cannot be a member without a better computer I guess. In any case, if you want any more info, you can e-mail Pat here: PS306422@gmail.com

I hope you enjoy :)

Attachments

• IMG_3396 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3396 (Medium).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_3397 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3397 (Medium).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_3401 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3401 (Medium).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_3402 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3402 (Medium).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,331
  • IMG_3403 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3403 (Medium).JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_3409 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3409 (Medium).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 281

I never watch any Star Trek, but after seeing all these Phaser mods, i definately getting intrigued

For a Star-Trek fan, they would be a must-have. Even though I am not, it has got me to thinking of useing one of my old aluminum 45-gripframes from a paintball-gun to build a 8x in a "gun-config" maybe with thumb-adjustable focus and power-setting. It is unexpectedly fun to "shoot"
Nice work Pat and Jay!
Barry