Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spyscape NYC 2/25/18

A co worker who works in Vancouver and is aware of my laser endeavors tipped me off to a new interactive museum that just opened up in NYC called Spyscape. It is about different aspects of the spying from WWII forward, mostly the Cold War. There were many different exhibits dealing with espionage. They give you a wristband with a tracker on it and you keep track of what scoring on the interactive kiosks. It was actually pretty cool. But the reason I went was an "interactive game" navigating a laser field. I just wanted to photograph the room. It did come in handy that I had a clue on how to photograph it. The way it worked was they had the green beams and what they called a mist. Any time anything touched a beam it instantaneously turned off. For anyone to get a shot in the eye from a beam is almost impossible and I am sure NYC would not have let them do it if it were not 100% safe. I figured they had to be 5mw tops to be legal. So you start the game and hit as many white dots on the walls without hitting the lasers. If you hit a laser it goes off. So if you wanted to experience weaving thru the lasers you could. I did not do it since I had all of my camera stuff. I pretty much stood in the corners with my camera on a monopod to get as much in the pic as possible, even with a fisheye lens. There were different color lights with the lasers adding to the atmosphere. I was very impressed with the whole set up and the whole experience I took many pics of the Guy Fawkes masks. Lastly I took of a few pics of a science toy I wish they had when I was a kid. If you are in NYC, I would recommend checking it out!

DSC_2754_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2763_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2780_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2786_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2788_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2886_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2804_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2800_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2795_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2798_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2803_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2805_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2807_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2824_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2850_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2841_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2869_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2870_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

BobMc

That looks like an awesome exhibit Bruce. You do seem to find all the cool stuff. Thanks for the post. That room does look all mist-a-fi-ing. (heeee). I too wish they had toys like that when I was a kid, heck it’s something I’d like to try at my age. :crackup:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Some fine looking shots, Bruce! :beer:
Really like that wall of Guy Fawkes masks, it must have something to do with all that yellow, and the repetition; whatever it is, it really catches your eye. :cool:

@Bob, I agree, we missed out on all the cool toys, I would have loved to had one of those "big wheel" trikes, they looked like so much fun.

BobMc

@Bob, I agree, we missed out on all the cool toys, I would have loved to had one of those "big wheel" trikes, they looked like so much fun.

Haaaa, Bowtie your so right, maybe that’s why we got all these cool laser toys, to make up for lost time. :crackup:

Great photos, as usual, Bruce. That must have been something to see in person. + Rep.

Hey, that puts you just a few points away from 600K. :wave:

Great photos, as usual, Bruce. That must have been something to see in person. + Rep.

Hey, that puts you just a few points away from 600K. :wave:

Just awesome photos, Bruce! Thanks for sharing! :thanks:
And welcome to 600K! ;)

That's great, Tero. I was hoping someone would come along and make it happen. :thanks:

Thanks everyone! Again if you are in Manhattan (8th and 55th) it is worth checking out.
It did cost me 39 dollars admission and was worth it.

Bowtieguy - The Guy Fawkes masks were just as fun to shoot as the laser room! The way they had it displayed, there were reflections everywhere. By moving around I would get different reflections and lighting. There are a lot more shots of it on flickr if you want to check them out.

Bob - I did consider for a minute buying the maze toy for 30 bucks, but didn't.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Bruce, I just checked some of your other Spyscape photos out on flickr.

I found a couple photos of what looks like maybe some type of coding machine (computer) that are interesting, photos # DSC 2770, & 2768. :cool:

Radim

That is amazing! I would definitly go there, if NYC is not that far from me. Anyway tip in case I have a way to US again some time. Thanks for sharing this.

It reminds me my laserpainting a bit, however laser does not go off under hit obviously and there is not 5 mW limit in my case. :D

Thanks Radim. If you are ever going to be in NYC let me know and I will show you the sights. You would have the time of your life!

Bowtieguy - I think that is a code breaking machine from WWII. The next time I go (with my wife) I will look at everything in detail. Yesterday was mainly to photograph. There were all sorts of goodies from that era. If you like Cold War era stuff, check out on my flickr album page the Nike Base 56 control rooms, radar and some missiles (Nike Ajax and Nike Hercules).

DSC_8122_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_8130_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_8139_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_8159_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_8158_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_8098_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Radim

Thanks, Bruce. I'll definitely let you know. So far I saw NYC just from the plane during landing when going to Mexico for cenotes scuba diving many years ago. Definitely city on to see list. And if you are going to Prague, let me know as well. We can see some places too. ;)

Last edited: