Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

What's the point of all of those satellites? Elon is getting on my nerves with the sum of what he has done. Some of it I like though, like those reusable rockets.

We had reusable space shuttles in the 1980s. Problem was it took a $1 billion to get them ready to reuse. :LOL:

Yea, but the rocket boosters were not reused.

Seems like the guy has nothing better to do with his money than shoot his junk up into space: cars and satellites and such. Although his new truck belongs in space, but that might end up as another embarrassment :LOL:

Encap

Still--some of his stuff is pretty amazing and a jump in advancing space technology + capability.
Very cool to see in person - a thrill and inspirational even for many people - what was Sci Fi, becomes reality in the real world.

Vertical rocket landings from 10 kilometer > 10 meter accuracy in 4 years---pretty fancy advance --not bad.

Last edited:
Now that the USAF spinoff, the Space Force, has been created... maybe some of the lesser secrets of our USAF space program will become more mainstream. I was involved in the spy plane and stealth programs, and I flew 3 orbits in one of the X-37 prototypes. I was sad to see the X-37B replace those manned space missions with unmanned drones.

Someday I'll pack my bags and claim Mars when I get tired of this rock and probably humanity itself. 🤫
Sorry to report, Mars is already claimed. Russia sent a spacecraft to orbit Mars and send back images. The last image captured was of a large black object coming up at the spacecraft from Mars before the russian spacecraft was destroyed. They decided not to try again.

I'm conflicted, to a point. I've lived a life that I wish I were able to fully share. But I'm obligated by my security clearance as to what I am allowed to share. I'm hoping that Donald Trump will help us to release more information to the private sector. Civil aviation and the fledgling corporate space industry could benefit greatly from information/technology developed by the USAF space program. We haven't even shared much with NASA. We did give them redacted blueprints of the X-37 so that they could start the shuttle program. Their chosen method of launch is what led to many failures, but they did learn from mistakes made. We took off from runways and flew directly into space. But we were only carrying a crew of three and a fairly heavy CIA camera package. The shuttle was a cargo truck in comparison. Ultimately, the downfall of the shuttle program was political, as president Obama was led to rewrite the mission of NASA and drastically cut their budget.

I never agreed with the Obama agenda, nor did I like him as a person. But I respected the office, and I told him so. Thank goodness, I had as little interaction as possible. I completed the project for him, and I re-retired after. President Trump brought me back because I fully support his America First agenda.

IMG_20190905_153841.jpg

Bob

If you are looking for transparency from Trump you will be disappointed. No one has been less transparent in the office than he has. Especially when it comes to what he is doing.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Do you guys think humanity will make a return to the Moon soon? It would be interesting to see what else we can discover there :D

-Alex

I think (and hope!) so!. :D I think it would be very useful, if for no other reason, than as a dry run for a manned Mars mission. Can test a lot of the same technologies that an isolated colony would need, while still being within a couple days from Earth. That way you could quickly return if there was a major problem, unlike the months or more needed to send a rescue to a Martian colony.

Who knows what else we might learn about the solar system while on the moon too. Could be rocks from very early Earth or Mars that have landed there and are still in pristine condition. Could be that evidence of ancient bacteria on Mars is actually found on the Moon.

Personally I would love to land on the Moon and be able to explore the ancient caves and lava tubes that hide beneath the lunar surface. :D

GSS

Do you guys think humanity will make a return to the Moon soon? It would be interesting to see what else we can discover there :D

-Alex
I believe the reasoning to return to the Moon if we were to man it, is it's easier to launch spacecraft with no atmosphere to break through.

You might want to look up the Apollo medical channel recordings. They were recorded by multiple amatuer radio operators. The crew that went were not alone, and felt compelled to share with mission control, despite being told not to do so in advance of the mission. Dr Edgar Mitchell (Apoollo 14) was a good friend of mine. I was the one that encouraged him to go public about what he witnessed during his moon mission. He was not prohibited from going public. I visited him last a few weeks before he passed away. I have a souvineer that was brought back from the moon.

A certain Apollo astronaut still gets very angry when reminded of his experiences. He told NASA "You risked our lives for a publicity stunt!". My souvineer is related to what he was referring to...

Bob

Snecho

Sorry to report, Mars is already claimed. Russia sent a spacecraft to orbit Mars and send back images. The last image captured was of a large black object coming up at the spacecraft from Mars before the russian spacecraft was destroyed. They decided not to try again.

I'm conflicted, to a point. I've lived a life that I wish I were able to fully share. But I'm obligated by my security clearance as to what I am allowed to share. I'm hoping that Donald Trump will help us to release more information to the private sector. Civil aviation and the fledgling corporate space industry could benefit greatly from information/technology developed by the USAF space program. We haven't even shared much with NASA. We did give them redacted blueprints of the X-37 so that they could start the shuttle program. Their chosen method of launch is what led to many failures, but they did learn from mistakes made. We took off from runways and flew directly into space. But we were only carrying a crew of three and a fairly heavy CIA camera package. The shuttle was a cargo truck in comparison. Ultimately, the downfall of the shuttle program was political, as president Obama was led to rewrite the mission of NASA and drastically cut their budget.

I never agreed with the Obama agenda, nor did I like him as a person. But I respected the office, and I told him so. Thank goodness, I had as little interaction as possible. I completed the project for him, and I re-retired after. President Trump brought me back because I fully support his America First agenda.

View attachment 68039

Bob
Lol ok.

You can't claim something if you're not on it