Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

Actually, there is no getting it to the edge of gravity. The gravity at the stratosphere is still pretty much what it is at ground level. What you want to do is get it into orbital velocity where it continues to fall back to the earth, but because of its horizontal velocity, it keeps missing the earth and just orbits. Once you get here, there is no gravitational effects felt because gravity is the only force exerted on the vehicle. To feel gravity, you need another force acting against the gravitational force.

Yes, but a piggyback jet could be built, I don't know if ducted bypass or straight turbine would be best, likely straight turbine, at any rate a special built high altitude carrier aircraft possibly with solid fuel assist, but the point would be an easily reusable piggyback carrier to launch from.

At the least an increase in payload to spacecraft size could be obtained at reasonable coat as the piggyback aircraft would be truly reusable.

----EDIT----

I'm not the 1st to have this idea of course.

Last edited:

Rivem

Yes, but a piggyback jet could be built, I don't know if ducted bypass or straight turbine would be best, likely straight turbine, at any rate a special built high altitude carrier aircraft possibly with solid fuel assist, but the point would be an easily reusable piggyback carrier to launch from.

At the least an increase in payload to spacecraft size could be obtained at reasonable coat as the piggyback aircraft would be truly reusable.

----EDIT----

I'm not the 1st to have this idea of course.

Speaking of that concept Paul Allen who funded SpaceShipOne just had his behemoth of a plane do its taxi tests.

It's intended for exactly that purpose. Pretty crazy since it's the largest plane in existence.

This sort of concept may very well be the most economical way of getting smaller payloads into space if it all works out.

diachi

We finally have a picture of the payload for the first FH launch.

Elon Musk's own Tesla Roadster. This isn't a joke, it's really what they are launching. Sending it to Mars transfer orbit.

5BZzoCj.png

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The most extreme PR stunt ever. I've heard about this, and yes he does plan to actually do this. :p

Well, if nothing else turned me off to them, this does. Nothing could be more ridiculous than to send a car to Mars to advertise both at once.

diachi

Well, if nothing else turned me off to them, this does. Nothing could be more ridiculous than to send a car to Mars to advertise both at once.

It's that or they launch a chunk of steel/concrete/tank of water into space. Might as well do something cool.

Keep in mind it's not actually going to Mars either, it's going into a Mars transfer orbit. Won't come close to Mars.

Or, could have sent a satellite that could take some photos or do some spectrometer measurements that would be useful. There are a host of things that would be much more cool than a car.

diachi

Or, could have sent a satellite that could take some photos or do some spectrometer measurements that would be useful. There are a host of things that would be much more cool than a car.

Photos of what? Spectrometer measurements of what? It's not going near anything interesting.

No one wants to risk millions of dollars in hardware for something that has a good chance of blowing up. ;) Musk said he'd be happy if it makes it off the pad before blowing up, that way it doesn't take the pad with it.

Okay. I see it is only going to a Mars transfer orbit. If it blows up on the pad, that would be something worth watching. Why add a payload at all? I somehow got mistaken into thinking this was eventually headed toward Mars. Oops.

diachi

Okay. I see it is only going to a Mars transfer orbit. If it blows up on the pad, that would be something worth watching. Why add a payload at all? I somehow got mistaken into thinking this was eventually headed toward Mars. Oops.

They need some sort of mass on it in order to simulate a real payload.

The aphelion will be at the orbit of Mars, but unless they've got some tricks up their sleeve there's no way it can actually enter Mars orbit and circularize. The second stage only has battery power so it dies after about 6 hours, it's just not designed for deep space missions like that. They'd need to modify it or build a third transfer stage.

Last edited:

Benm

Musk said he'd be happy if it makes it off the pad before blowing up, that way it doesn't take the pad with it.

Hehe... that doesn't really inspire confidence in the product does it?

Imagine buying a tesla car and the vendor saying he' be okay if the wheels came off after driving it from the lot, as long as they would not roll back into the lot :D

diachi

Well, Falcon Heavy is on the pad complete with its cherry red Tesla Roadster. Personally, I'd have offered to put whatever flat earthers decided would prove the Earth was flat and flown it.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/12/28/falcon-heavy-raised-on-pad-39a-for-first-time/

Be a while yet before we see a wet dress rehearsal, static fire and launch. Few weeks at least. Looks awesome though!

Hehe... that doesn't really inspire confidence in the product does it?

Imagine buying a tesla car and the vendor saying he' be okay if the wheels came off after driving it from the lot, as long as they would not roll back into the lot :D

I honestly think it'll be fine, he's probably trying to keep expectations low. :D

I don't know why everyone is concerned about visiting Mars. My grandfather was there a long, long time ago....I think around 1915....as one of his alter egos, Baron Münchausen. You can read about it here: Adventures of Baron Munchausen Frankly, from what he told me when I was a kid, there is absolutely nothing exciting on Mars. We are better off right here on terra firma....so we had best take care of our planet.

You know there is a medical term called Munchausen's disorder where a person makes up diseases that they suffer from. Another one called Munchausen's by proxy is a disorder mostly of mothers who make their child sick in order to get attention from medical staff and others.

You know there is a medical term called Munchausen's disorder where a person makes up diseases that they suffer from. Another one called Munchausen's by proxy is a disorder mostly of mothers who make their child sick in order to get attention from medical staff and others.

I have seen it in medical practice altholugh it has to be deferentiated from hypchondiasis. 48 Hours had an episode about a woman who murdered her child and was found to ave Muncausen's by proxy. It is pretty unusual.