Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sources for Styropyro 5.5w ebay build = ?

Laser Puppies

Noob here! I'm trying to find the sources used in this video:

GOOGLE: "testing illegal blue lasers from ebay"

This was posted in May 2019 so I've little doubt everyone here already saw it, but I haven't been able to track down his parts sources, particularly the diode and driver board...

I've looked through some of the older threads that list stores and links, but most are years out of date and full of dead links. Its fairly evident that just as light emitting diodes have improved exponentially in the last few years something similar has been going on with laser diodes. Could those in the know please link to some up to date parts suppliers in China? 我是中文学生 but even that only gets you so far. Without video evidence it's impossible to tell the toys from the lasers that cut solding wire.

So far my own collection is just a couple of 0.25w green pointers and a 40w CO2 K40 etcher (I re-worked and posted the manual for anyone interested GOOGLE: "quora k40 manual" ), but I'm looking to learn more and branch out.

GSS

Hello? Is anyone there?
Alright you mean the upgraded parts??
Unless Styro buys wholesale for a volume discount, forum member "DTR" is the best source for the top notch diode's and drivers and also sells on ebay.

Looking at China based places on ebay is just a crap shoot to who is cheaper and whether how long the lasers, diodes, drivers etc.. will last.
Anything over 5mW's isn't a toy "nor below for that matter".
100mW' will pop a black balloon and 200mW's will light a match and 1000mW's will burn wood.
If your after a power guideline to what power can do what you just have to keep lurking and reading old threads.

I could be wrong and your just pushing your product??

Last edited:

Laser Puppies

Did you ask him on the video comments?
No, I didn't ask in the comments - there are hundreds of comments and while he very carefully spelled out where to get the safety gear there was no mention of the parts source. I think this was intentional. He's not telling, so we have to figure it out on our own if we can...

Thank you for the tip on DTR...

Laser Puppies

Alright you mean the upgraded parts??
Unless Styro buys wholesale for a volume discount, forum member "DTR" is the best source for the top notch diode's and drivers and also sells on ebay.

Looking at China based places on ebay is just a crap shoot to who is cheaper and whether how long the lasers, diodes, drivers etc.. will last.
Anything over 5mW's isn't a toy "nor below for that matter".
100mW' will pop a black balloon and 200mW's will light a match and 1000mW's will burn wood.
If your after a power guideline to what power can do what you just have to keep lurking and reading old threads.

I could be wrong and your just pushing your product??

Thank you, this is exactly what I was hoping to find here: someone running an up to date shop with quality products at reasonable prices : )

GSS

No, I didn't ask in the comments - there are hundreds of comments and while he very carefully spelled out where to get the safety gear there was no mention of the parts source. I think this was intentional. He's not telling, so we have to figure it out on our own if we can...

Thank you for the tip on DTR...
Yes, after I saw the video, like usual there were a ton of comments. Most also aren't tech related, just how can I get one of those:whistle:
He is a forum member here and on a few others and he is a really nice young guy, and if he could legally answer a question i'm sure he would.:)

Snecho

What Styro did was just very generic. He stuffed a better diode and better driver in a chinese host. Over time, you can gain the skills and knowledge needed to build almost the same thing without the parts needing to be listed. ;)

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

^ This And look I would give you the list of the possible parts he chose but trust me 5w is huge I see that you have worked with lasers before but get this even the spot on the wall from a 5w will cause eye damage when viewed up close. I don't feel comfortable telling you the parts till you show me a pic that proves you have goggles of decent quality (eagle pair).

Hi Laser puppies, why don't you start out with some LED lights, but you will again find that even they can hurt your eyes without goggles. Ya Know what, I think you should just wait until you are more mature and respect the possible consequences of things.

Laser Puppies

Na, the listing above linked to enough information to find the proper names of diode types. With that it wasn't hard to find various sources and sort the BS from real listings. The $200 price tag is a bit much for now, but give it time. Thank you for your help : )

(I only wish the average firearm user group was as safety conscientious as your group)

Na, the listing above linked to enough information to find the proper names of diode types. With that it wasn't hard to find various sources and sort the BS from real listings. The $200 price tag is a bit much for now, but give it time. Thank you for your help : )

(I only wish the average firearm user group was as safety conscientious as your group)

Yes but the average firearm isn't kept loaded and then fired repeatedly in a living room while being waved around by a 14 year old

Giannis_TDM

Some one is brain dead
Eh I'm used to it as a mod in styros discord and specifically watching the #lasers channels like a hawk all the time, we get the I want power and I don't care about safety ppl from time to time best option is to not give them direct sources and let them figure it out on their own that way they might read up on some safety precautions.

Snecho

Eh I'm used to it as a mod in styros discord and specifically watching the #lasers channels like a hawk all the time, we get the I want power and I don't care about safety ppl from time to time best option is to not give them direct sources and let them figure it out on their own that way they might read up on some safety precautions.
Hwait, Drake has a Discord? And you're a mod in it? 🤣