Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony 20x burners $24 at Newegg

Oh BTW, can you keep looking to see if you can find a model, or part number? Maybe pics of the label?

thanks,

amk

there's two labels and each have the same letters/numbers 7K03 0281 C685

is that not the part number?

also any tricks to get all the solder and junk off the open can diode? I'm thinking of just trying to use my soldering gun and melt it off but that might be tricky with only two hands

is that how u get the stuff off tho is with a soldering gun? i'm trying to use that and a knife and just whipe the stuff off the pins but its not working too well. i've got it in an aixiz module and the module is held by a big monkey wrench so its in place pretty well.

edit: victory. got it. now just 3 more dvd burners to mutilate :)

thx amk & kenom (im going to get some helping hands tomorrow)

WHat I do is if the diode is visible from the outside of the sled (like blu-ray sleds, or from you pic I assume these sleds) is that I vise the sled down tight, and make it so I have a clear view of the pins. then I stick my soldering iron on, and pry off the junk using small DX presicion tweesers.

then I harvest the diode.

amkdeath said:
WHat I do is if the diode is visible from the outside of the sled (like blu-ray sleds, or from you pic I assume these sleds) is that I vise the sled down tight, and make it so I have a clear view of the pins. then I stick my soldering iron on, and pry off the junk using small DX presicion tweesers.

then I harvest the diode.

good tip. thanks, i'll do this for the next one :)

I harvested the red, open can diode from the newegg order and got it all cleaned up. The only reason I purchased it was to test a new driver circuit I built. It has adjustable current with display, modulation, and runs on 6-12volts. It's a design I've been working on for a lab style driver to test laser diodes. Right now it puts out between 5 and 290mA but with a bit of tweaking it'll push 500mA. I'm also thinking about doing one that'll push up to 2A

Well I was getting ready to solder some fine leads onto the diode when it slipped and fell to the floor. I couldn't see it on the floor so I pushed my lab chair back and CRUNCH. So endeth the lesson.

Maybe I'll just order one from SenKat or someone. I just want to test the driver circuit. I've loaded it with diodes and a stack of high output LEDs but it ain't a laser until you attach a laser diode. I could use the IR diode but it's hard to take impressive pictures with an IR laser.

FrothyChimp said:
I harvested the red, open can diode from the newegg order and got it all cleaned up. The only reason I purchased it was to test a new driver circuit I built. It has adjustable current with display, modulation, and runs on 6-12volts. It's a design I've been working on for a lab style driver to test laser diodes. Right now it puts out between 5 and 290mA but with a bit of tweaking it'll push 500mA. I'm also thinking about doing one that'll push up to 2A

Well I was getting ready to solder some fine leads onto the diode when it slipped and fell to the floor. I couldn't see it on the floor so I pushed my lab chair back and CRUNCH. So endeth the lesson.

Maybe I'll just order one from SenKat or someone. I just want to test the driver circuit. I've loaded it with diodes and a stack of high output LEDs but it ain't a laser until you attach a laser diode. I could use the IR diode but it's hard to take impressive pictures with an IR laser.

dang thats too bad. i just put my open can in a dorcy jr with a 3.3 ohm resistor and i think i must have broken the diode when i was harvesting it because it is really dim and looks burnt out :(

sucky

time to harvest another :(

just a heads up. newegg had the free shipping on these again for $24. good deal.

[link=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011[/link]

EDIT: aw crap. i just got these in and they are weird rectangular diodes. not sure how to mount these in a module..... blah
I DONT recommend anyone buys the above linked burners, they are no bueno.

im going to return them I think.. maybe keep one and actually use it at a DVD burner