Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony 20x burners $24 at Newegg

drlava

the longer diode is the pioneer, the shorter one is the lite-on.

Gazoo

drlava said:
the longer diode is the pioneer, the shorter one is the lite-on.

I have confirmed the one I harvested from my Pioneer 112D is the longer one too. I will try to get one harvested from the Sony over the weekend.

Gazoo said:
[quote author=drlava link=1202158967/15#16 date=1202438172]the longer diode is the pioneer, the shorter one is the lite-on.

I have confirmed the one I harvested from my Pioneer 112D is the longer one too. I will try to get one harvested from the Sony over the weekend.
[/quote]

so did you like press your diode out of the module to check?? I get the shivers thinking about doing that....

Gazoo

No, I am using the meredith module which requires a 5.6mm to 9mm adapter. It is easy to look in the adapter at the diode with a magnifying lens.

The LG GSA-H42N and GSA-H54N are long one.

From now on there will be "long open can" ;D and "short open can" ;D

and I'll assume the long open can's can handle more heat based on the longer chip

Gazoo

I think the question is if they can handle more current. Heat is not the issue.

Gazoo said:
I think the question is if they can handle more current. Heat is not the issue.

ooooh, EXCIting!!!

The monk, the DVD burner that mine came from is a long one?

id be cool if someone was willing to sacrafice one of these babies for testing, 1 short and 1 long... or mabe we could all pitch in a few bucks so someone can buy them and test them...

amkdeath said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1202158967/15#22 date=1202508410]I think the question is if they can handle more current. Heat is not the issue.

ooooh, EXCIting!!!

id be cool if someone was willing to sacrafice one of these babies for testing, 1 short and 1 long... or mabe we could all pitch in a few bucks so someone can buy them and test them...[/quote]

Yes, the "long open can";D see the previous post. You can remove the lens and use a magnifying glass to check, make sure remove the batteries first. ;D

Gazoo

amkdeath said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1202158967/15#22 date=1202508410]I think the question is if they can handle more current. Heat is not the issue.

ooooh, EXCIting!!!

id be cool if someone was willing to sacrafice one of these babies for testing, 1 short and 1 long... or mabe we could all pitch in a few bucks so someone can buy them and test them...[/quote]

I basically already did with the open can I was running with 600mw's...lol. It was from a 112D. Put out a sweet 350mw's too, but only lasted less than an hour. The MXDL I recently did has a diode from a 115D. It has been shipped out and I already miss it. I did not look at the diode in that one but I would think it is exactly the same.

I still have a 112D open can diode I am running with 350ma's. I do hope to get to the Sony drive this weekend and test it out. I hope my new meredith module (with glass lens) will be here tomorrow. BTW, I plan on building my next MXDL using the 2.4 ohm resistor that comes with some of the MXDL circuit boards. I am not sure if I will use the Sony diode or the 112D diode. I will let everyone know if I can find any difference between them.

jayrob

I plan on building my next MXDL using the 2.4 ohm resistor that comes with some of the MXDL circuit boards. I am not sure if I will use the Sony diode or the 112D diode. I will let everyone know if I can find any difference between them.

2.4 ohm!!! Gazoo, you must start a new thread with that kind of a jump for the MXDL! That should give you over 500mA! By the way, I just finished your other heatsink, and I will mail it out tomorrow!
Jay

Gazoo said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1202158967/15#23 date=1202524663][quote author=Gazoo link=1202158967/15#22 date=1202508410]I think the question is if they can handle more current. Heat is not the issue.

ooooh, EXCIting!!!

I basically already did with the open can I was running with 600mw's...lol. It was from a 112D. Put out a sweet 350mw's too, but only lasted less than an hour. The MXDL I recently did has a diode from a 115D. It has been shipped out and I already miss it. I did not look at the diode in that one but I would think it is exactly the same.

I still have a 112D open can diode I am running with 350ma's. I do hope to get to the Sony drive this weekend and test it out. I hope my new meredith module (with glass lens) will be here tomorrow. BTW, I plan on building my next MXDL using the 2.4 ohm resistor that comes with some of the MXDL circuit boards. I am not sure if I will use the Sony diode or the 112D diode. I will let everyone know if I can find any difference between them.

[/quote]

nice, I was thinking of using my kryton barrel for something like that, a open can at like 500-550 mA. But I would have to replace the driver, and I would have to go get another glass lens. I also lack the open can...

good luck gazoo! and be sure to post your results!

regards,

amk

Gazoo

jayrob said:
I plan on building my next MXDL using the 2.4 ohm resistor that comes with some of the MXDL circuit boards. I am not sure if I will use the Sony diode or the 112D diode. I will let everyone know if I can find any difference between them.

2.4 ohm!!! Gazoo, you must start a new thread with that kind of a jump for the MXDL! That should give you over 500mA! By the way, I just finished your other heatsink, and I will mail it out tomorrow!
Jay

Thanks Jay. The heatsinks really make this worthwhile.

If I run it at 520ma's I know am risking a very short life for the diode. I am not sure pushing the diode that much will be worth the gain in output. Of course I will test it all out before I do the final assembly.

amk..thanks for the luck.. when we push these diodes as much as we do we need lots of luck.. ;D

Gazoo

My first harvest of the Sony drive did not go so well. While I was removing the mylar some solder went down between the base of the positive pin where the pin insulator is and the case. This is the second time this had happened to me..I think I had too much solder on the tip of my iron. However the removal of the diode is the very easiest I have ever come across. If anyone gets this drive, simply remove the glue from the base of the diode. You will see a place on one edge of the base of the diode where you can pry it up. Just be careful not to let whatever you are prying with slip inwards as this could destroy the diode. I found once I got the diode lifted up on one side I was able to remove it with my fingers. That's how easy it is. There is no need to take the assembly apart and no need to do any cutting on the heatsink...very sweet.

Since I felt a little ambitious, I decided to harvest the diode from Sony drive number two. This was even easier since I felt I was in familiar territory. This time I removed the assembly from the drive and held it in a vice. The first item of business was removing the mylar from the back of the diode. Then I proceeded to remove the diode and once again it almost popped right out...lol. I immediately mounted it into the meredith adapter, then soldered a capacitor to it. From there it went into my meredith module with an acrylic lens, and then into my TEC.

The preliminary tests reveal it is exactly the same as he Pioneer 112D and 115D diodes. The voltage across it is the same at 2.83 volts with 350ma's of current. And the die is the longer one. So at least the diode should be as good as the ones we have been harvesting from the Pioneer drives. However the ease of harvesting this diode from the Sony makes the Sony the winner.

One note is so far I have not noticed the line across the dot. I will take a closer look at it. I need to step out and run to the store in a bit and on the way back I will check to see if my meredith module with glass lens came. If it did, I will put the diode in there and measure the output, and report back.

Gazoo

Well this is VERY interesting. My lovely meredith module with glass lens did arrive.. ;D

The output of the Sony is 280.1mw's running with 350ma's...

The output of the Pioneer diodes are ~250mw's using the exact same configuration...the only item that was different was the lens.

The MXDL I completed using the 115D diode is 287.2mw's running at 420ma's.

It could be the difference in the glass lenses...I don't know but there is a ~30mw difference.

I need to do some more investigating. I have an open can from a 112D I am going to swap with the Sony. If the output of the Sony is still greater, it means it is a little more powerful diode.

And BTW the line did appear through the dot as I was running the laser...lol