Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

somebody asked for a "death sun ray"...

is that just a satellite dish with mirrors glued to it? This could be a fun build. I've got some spare satellite dishes too......

<rant>I'm nitpicking, I know, but it will NOT "melt" anything on earth. And the video never says it will melt anything, good on them, bad on whoever titled that page. Because some things just do not melt at atmospheric pressure. If I stick a piece of dry ice in there, it will not melt. It will sublimate, maybe even explode from the rapid heating, but it will not ever melt. And there are many other things that also do not melt at atmospheric pressure. Scientists and engineers should always strive for accuracy and precision in speech and writing.</rant>

Still a cool set up. I would love to play with it for a while.

Captain slow burning his wiener with the sun's hot hot rays?
That is something I never expected to see. :eek:

solar_laser_x220.jpg

Solar-Powered Laser - Technology Review

solar-oven-by-pluvialis-image-01-thumb_EPfTu_5784.jpg

Physics-sun solar laser oozes millions of watts | Solar Feeds News Network

spacelaser.jpg

Orbiting Solar Panels to Shoot Energy to Earth in the Form of Laser Beams

Nanolaser: cool setup (2nd picture).. :)

<rant>I'm nitpicking, I know, but it will NOT "melt" anything on earth. And the video never says it will melt anything, good on them, bad on whoever titled that page. Because some things just do not melt at atmospheric pressure. If I stick a piece of dry ice in there, it will not melt. It will sublimate, maybe even explode from the rapid heating, but it will not ever melt. And there are many other things that also do not melt at atmospheric pressure. Scientists and engineers should always strive for accuracy and precision in speech and writing.</rant>

Still a cool set up. I would love to play with it for a while.

Nah, it is directed to most people: most don't know that ;)

Hopefully thats something like the 44"x33" fresnel lens I got my cousin's 55" projection TV. :eg: I calculated that to be 1279 watts at the focal point acording to the solar constant. Of course it will less because of losses and stuff, but still, that's a LOT of power. I'm going to building a frame for it next semester in Industrial Arts.