Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some questions about getting into gas lasers

It can be done. Sam's Laser FAQ has entries from people have done it but it's not easy. It would be an interesting project though.

Just an FYI some people here get their panties in a bunch if you post multiple times in a row. In the future you may want to just edit your last post and add to it although I'm honestly not sure if that marks the thread as having a new reply.

No I meant it lasted two days being in it's housing :p it's a nice bare tube HeNe now

Also, how do green HeNe lasers produce green light if the tube plasma is still red?

Think of it like this: all of the HeNe colors are in the plasma, simultaneously. It's the mirrors at each end that decide and choose which color is reflected back and forth, and thus amplified.

Think of the color of the plasma as a summation of all those colors. If you were to run that light through a prism, you would find the varying HeNe colors all in there. It's characteristic pink color just means there is more red than anything else.

Many green HeNe lasers contain a slightly different mix of gasses, in an attempt to squeeze more green out, but the red lines are still dominant, and the plasma still pink. (more or less)

Last edited:
You should look up how 532nm green lasers work. Once you understand that it's a frequency-doubled DPSS laser system, shrunk down to the size of an aixiz module, you will gain a new respect for cheap-o 532nm lasers.

And as far as completely DIY gas lasers, I recall seeing someone's homebuilt laser that used the CO2 harvested from the maker's breath as the gas fill.
Homemade Carbon Dioxide Laser Running on Exhaled Breath! - YouTube < interesting!

Huh. Theres much better methods of obtaining Co2 than from exhaling.

Also forget the Co2 laser, I want that guy's ruby rod laser that can burn through metal!

Last edited:
The plasma consists of te ionized gases with tons of light. The full spectra, not just lasing lines, but hundreds of spectral lines.

Your mirrors select which line resonates enough to have visible lasing radiation.

The full spectra, not just lasing lines, but hundreds of spectral lines.

Maybe not precisely the full spectrum, because the light would then appear white.
However, there ARE a number of lines found in the plasma, besides those squeaking out the OC mirror.
spechene.gif

Spectrum and spectra are usually used differently. I think they are different words, too.

And yes, I'd guess the best method would be to buy CO2. Hell, that's the best way to make a gas laser, buy one brand new. I promise, it'll work!

Maybe not precisely the full spectrum, because the light would then appear white.
However, there ARE a number of lines found in the plasma, besides those squeaking out the OC mirror.
spechene.gif

There are HUNDREDS of spectral lines. The light won't be white unless there is an equal presence of all of them, relative to their brightness to our eyes. There are more reds, yellows, and orange to greens and blues.

Can't totally agree with 'get a wallwart' you really need a regulated PS --

At Sam's, he has a great section on buying from greedbay and the real definition of words they use- .. Buy from Dr. Sam ...he's not cheap on the 'good stuff' BUT you will never buy from any seller as honest/savvy as Sam- he told me when he sells a laser he gives a promise it will work and will fix if, Labor free, it fails (within reason) my yellow was gotten from Sam at SELEM 2012.

There are tables at Sam's that help you to match tubes with PS- even if the label is gone Sam has them listed by length an diameter-

Sorry your ISP makes it hard to search BUT- go to 'Sam's FAQ' and spend the time needed to get up to speed ..sir,

- and you want to avoid double posting if possible- most here don't like to see that- just edit and add new stuff if the last post is yours.
you can go back anytime in this thread and combine your old posts- that way you will know how.
Another great source of reliable Gas lasers is 'daguin'-(Dave)

Once you get yourself a basic knowledge of gas lasers we will be more likely to be helpful.
hers a free tip
Short the Alden plug from the tube when you disconnect it from the PS- it hold a charge for some time.

When you are ready to buy from FleaBay look for what you think is a good choice. Link that in our Ebay 'Finds' Thread-(in Deals n Discounbts section) make it clear that you may be bidding (most who are not already bidding/looking will not big against you once you have posted). Be sure to first look through recent posts in that thread to see if you are not the first to post about it. Your chances of getting "dibbs" is greater if the listing is new.

Check later to see what others advise on your 'find'. Some may already own the same laser. some might know the seller. -you need to search -- see the seller's rep -- look at their completed listings for neg feedback- search the laser itself for completed auctions.
You might see what others have paid for similar lasers- find that sales feedback and do your homework or you will be buying dead lasers. Send the seller your questions- No reply is a bad reply. Red flags? they say its all there but they can't test it --BULL .
They don't offer it with a PS but they have the PS listed by itself. More BULL

Ask for more info or pics- some make the label hard to read on purpose- All but a few of the ' gassers' in my sig came from GREEDbay.

good luck--Len
ps
Argons (& other air-cooled) have both 'sweet' colors AND do a good job of warming up a room--

Last edited: