Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

some pet peeves about some ppl and lasers

catman

Hopefully the EU will do better but some how I doubt it, they seem to pick up most of your bad laws and few of the good ones.

DinNY

hmmm .. if we are stating a list .. add non-IR filtered 532's with no warning .. these seem to be everywhere ...
If we're not .. just ignore this :p

Problem is its illegal to have lasers stronger than 5mW without a bunch of safety features.

This. The FDA is too restrictive. Apparently a laser is a problem because it might blind someone. But, a gallon of gasoline is OK even though I can get gasoline anywhere, and burn any number of people (self included) with a gallon.

Personally- I pass on a laser aimed at my eyes even if it is a true 1mW- it is just plain stupid and the line needs to be drawn . I have been giving away some 405 and 650 mini modules- I call them 'eye safe' but not in the sense that I say they are fine to shine in anyone's eyes-just meaning they will not blind you or harm your eyes wth a quick flash.

One can sell ice picks- and the buyers can be warned to never shove one into anyone eyes- what else is to be done. Ban them? arrest the seller or maker?? should the ice picks be made with less of a sharp point= would take make them eye safe??

Gun safety and laser safe use have much in common- never point one at any living thing- never assume the laser is 'not loaded' (safe for eye shots)

Laser makers anywhere can warn of danger- and if this advice is ignored I see no valid reason to blame anyone but the laser owner.

hak's dos centavos

Gasoline is a legitimate economic requirement. high power pointers are not.

I could make the argument that bleach is more dangerous to drink than alcohol, but I bet you could think of several reasons why 12 year olds are only allowed to buy one of the above.

catman

Personally- I pass on a laser aimed at my eyes even if it is a true 1mW- it is just plain stupid and the line needs to be drawn . I have been giving away some 405 and 650 mini modules- I call them 'eye safe' but not in the sense that I say they are fine to shine in anyone's eyes-just meaning they will not blind you or harm your eyes wth a quick flash.

One can sell ice picks- and the buyers can be warned to never shove one into anyone eyes- what else is to be done. Ban them? arrest the seller or maker?? should the ice picks be made with less of a sharp point= would take make them eye safe??

Gun safety and laser safe use have much in common- never point one at any living thing- never assume the laser is 'not loaded' (safe for eye shots)

Laser makers anywhere can warn of danger- and if this advice is ignored I see no valid reason to blame anyone but the laser owner.

hak's dos centavos

I wouldn't voluntarily shine a low power laser at my eyes either. But with a low powered one it's unlikely your vision will be damaged by any accidental exposure (you making a mistake, a shithead shining it at you, ...). Also good job on warning people, more sellers should be like that.

I think your comparison with ice picks is a little wrong, the current situation is more like 'yeah it shouldn't cause serious injury if you stab some one but don't do it anyway'. Except some are made of steel and others of a plastic designed to shatter if you try to stab some one. Definitely not for a ban of ice picks, just want them properly labeled - low chance of injury, almost certain injury, ...

Also agree about the gun safety thing, with the addition that you shouldn't be allowed to sell a .50 cal machine gun and say it's a BB gun.

As far as the blame for these injuries - most definitely goes to the guy who did it, but if someone advertised and sold a laser as 'safe' they should get part of the blame.

And that's basically what I want - lasers of all powers available but properly labeled so the customer can buy exactly what he wants (a powerful burner, something to use during presentations, whatever).

catman

Gasoline is a legitimate economic requirement. high power pointers are not.

I could make the argument that bleach is more dangerous to drink than alcohol, but I bet you could think of several reasons why 12 year olds are only allowed to buy one of the above.

They actually did something similar with GBL. It's a widely used industrial chemical so they couldn't ban it outright they made it extremely hard to acquire. All of this because shitheads used it to make GHB (an otherwise quite useful substance), plant it in peoples drinks and date rape them.