Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Some new design ideas w/TEC plates and High Speed fans…

Amak87

LPF Site Supporter
So my buddy Jim wanted me to post up these pictures of one of my recent projects. Using some of his extended heatsinks for the Convoy M21A/C8, I have milled out some improvements.

First, I’ve got these custom assembled, dual and single high speed 30mm fans that snap onto the heatsinks. With some modifications, and running 2-18350 Li-Ions in series, I can directly power the fans with 8.4V, also using the Lazeerer SXD (which outperforms the Astral Super X by far), these pointers are able to sustain over 7.2W optical output until the batteries die = essentially unlimited duty cycles..

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

This also led me to milling out a heatsink to allow for direct mount of a 30mm high speed fan, ideally I would mill 2 opposed sides of the heatsink to allow for 2 fans for optimal cooling. As pictured below:

IMG_3936.jpeg

This then led me to take it another step further, with a design I’ve been testing for a while; milling out slots within the heatsinks to allow for 2-3, 20mm X 40mm TEC plates, which obviously require another 1-2 drivers to power them properly. I’ve tested over 15 different sizes and style of TEC plates/drivers and I found a great combo that allows for limitless duty cycles, or as long as your batteries can handle. Here are some more pictures showing the beginning of a TEC plate slot milling, however my drill press setup isn’t tight enough to mill out the slots nice and tight for proper TEC plate installation and operation. This is something we are working on, and will implement this design scheme into pointers using Nichia NUBB23 and NUBB24 diode arrays, for some serious handheld powa!

image1.jpeg
Check future posts for more pictures of this…

Check it out and let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• IMG_3783.jpeg
    IMG_3783.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 10

Here is more pictures of the project

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    869.4 KB · Views: 9
I’m having issues getting the pictures to load up to the forum, so maybe Jim can post up some pics I sent him via Email?

Que in @loreadarkshade

LPM measurement after 15minutes of run time…
This is a Osram PLPT9-450LB_E diode running with a Convoy 6V/5A boost driver, fans are powered via bench supply at 8.2V

With the single fan or dual fan, top mount design, my idea was to mill out 2 slots, in an incomplete triangle pattern. This would allow for cooling to be more towards the center, with the heat being pumped towards the exterior of the heatsink, to allow the fans to remove the heat transferred to the exterior.

Even with just the single fan, the cooling effects are immensely noticeable. With the dual fans, the heatsink doesn’t break 73-75*F, indoor temps, ambient around 72*F.

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4169.jpeg
    IMG_4169.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
LPM measurement after 15minutes of run time…
This is a Osram PLPT9-450LB_E diode running with a Convoy 6V/5A boost driver, fans are powered via bench supply at 8.2V

Attachments

• IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 10
Good work my man, sick build! I really love what you did with the fan, and really glad you shared it here!

@Alien Laser have a look here might get better ideas.
For me or him? Either way I wanted to collab with him to make some new products.. I’ve got a lot of ideas and I’ve been testing a lot of stuff with NUBB23/24 diode arrays.. I just need someone that can turn some custom heatsinks!!

@Darktron might be your man!
I can machine the parts for you no worries, but have no time for design/measurements and definitely no time to commercialize a new product

For me or him? Either way I wanted to collab with him to make some new products.. I’ve got a lot of ideas and I’ve been testing a lot of stuff with NUBB23/24 diode arrays.. I just need someone that can turn some custom heatsinks!!
Oh i was trying to show Alien what he woukd probably need to push over 40W into a diode and have a decent run time

@Darktron might be your man!
I can machine the parts for you no worries, but have no time for design/measurements and definitely no time to commercialize a new product
Oh yeah I have that nubb28 heatsink prototype while splitting the array into 2 halves each one having their own driver. Would be a crazy move if he can figureout some good cooling solution for it. The power would be very little since i want to make it super compact and use x6 14500 7-10A rated batteries in series to power both drivers and each half of the array1000039722.png1000039723.png1000039724.png1000039725.jpg

Oh yeah I have that nubb28 heatsink prototype while splitting the array into 2 halves each one having their own driver. Would be a crazy move if he can figureout some good cooling solution for it. The power would be very little since i want to make it super compact and use x6 14500 7-10A rated batteries in series to power both drivers and each half of the arrayView attachment 78272View attachment 78273View attachment 78274View attachment 78275
lets collab bro, I think using the convoy L6 or L7 would be a great option. I have a driver already set for it, which would be installed within the heatsink.

Also, I’ve already figured out a way to use a beam expander for the NUBB23, running it at 4-5A, it would be a beast and having adjustable focus would be huge.

For the dual diode arrays- 23 and 28, I’ve purchase a c02 lens holder, which uses 20mm lenses, just 2 lenses and we could easily shrink the beam spot down, but making it adjustable opens up more issues, which can be easily accomplished, it just adds on much more complexity and cost..

I have a really simple design for the NUBB23, using the Convoy L6 or L7 host. The driver I have planned for it has 1 small issue, it requires a minimum of 9v, anything lower than that and it blows a cap/res, I’m not sure exactly which one fails but it pops immediately. But I feel like with your experience, we could modify this driver to be able to run at 8.4v, the convoy L6/7 takes 2- 26650 batteries, so there’s plenty of power supply for it. Running the NUBB23 at 5A should yield atleast 30W output.

This is the driver I have been playing with for these diodes. Maybe we can run 4-26350s, and modify the driver to be a buck/boost style which would allow for a much more stable output..

I’ve also been building a custom Airsoft rifle mod using the NuBB24, I have all the ideas and plans worked out, I just need a lathe and 3D printer. I’ve designed it so that all the components are within the rifle and I use the stock trigger setup, since the 12v motors they drive run upwards of 50A, it’s not going to fail whatsoever. I installed that same driver within the magazine and I installed a small 9-in-1 amp/volt/mah/ect. Meter. It also keeps a tab on the battery voltage which is a nice little feature. I have purchased a solid butt stock that fits the lipo battery, or I can fit a custom 6S li-ion battery pack using 21700 batteries..

Attachments

• IMG_4676.jpeg
    IMG_4676.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4675.jpeg
    IMG_4675.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 0
Or. Another idea, is to remove the diode arrays from the NUBB28, and use them individually on a NUBB23 board, or just make a custom heatsink mount for it. That way we can have that extra diode, which would push it to over 40-45W output, and my idea for using a beam expander would be very simple to add on. Since the beam is already collimated, we can just make a custom heatsink cap, that the beam expander could thread into, and boom, adjustable focus on a handheld 40w blue laser.. and we could possibly add a couple TEC plates for cooling. I’ve done a ton of testing with them and they don’t need a lot of power to get the proper cooling. I can drive 2 of the 20mmx40mm TEC plates with a 6v/5A driver, and it can run all day long and the driver barely gets warm…

Back