Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some More Off Topic Images From My Former Hobby...

These are some high rez desktops/wallpapers i made from my former hobby of doing restoration & repair work and collecting Bulova Accutron 214 "tuning fork" wrist watches from 1960 through 1976 and I'd like to share them with anyone who might find them interesting, These images are from the rarest Accutron watches I ever owned and the movements & dials that went in them......

That former hobby is where my user name "Accutroitis" originated, For anyone the would like to learn more about the Bulova Accutron 214 tuning fork watches you can visit my website "The Accutron Resource Forum" at http://accutronfacts.freeforums.net/

And for anyone that might have trouble viewing them here are the thumbnail versions....

Last edited:

Interesting shots, a few of them would make for some nice looking wallpapers. What's your technique for the black background and lighting?

The ones without cases are movements I would guess, on a black background, I use cardstock to take a pic of something without a distracting background, but I am guessing a black microfiber cloth?

Last edited:
Interesting shots, a few of them would make for some nice looking wallpapers. What's your technique for the black background and lighting?
Microsoft paint and a lot of time blocking off everything else ! lol

The absolute best lighting for anything is outdoors, mid day sun, in the shade, using a light color background !

I originally made them as desktops/wallpapers......

Last edited:
cKlDftT_d.jpg

what kind of tag is this? lmao

this is kinda cool, i used to take watches apart and see how they worked and then i would sort all the parts by size and color :p

Last edited:

Rivem

Very cool photos! I've always thought analog timepieces were neat, but I really don't know much about them. There's just something else about the craftsmanship that has to go into a mechanical system like that.

Is your a daily driver an Accutron? I knew a watch collector that never wore them.

Very cool photos! I've always thought analog timepieces were neat, but I really don't know much about them. There's just something else about the craftsmanship that has to go into a mechanical system like that.

Is your a daily driver an Accutron? I knew a watch collector that never wore them.
I'm pretty much the same in that i rarely wear any of my Accutrons, My daily driver is my dad's 1970's Gallet Multichron Chronograph that has a Valjoux 72 movement, I found it after he passed away two years ago, It was tucked away in his dresser and wasn't working so i went through it and restored it and it's pretty much the only watch i wear anymore.......

The three chronograph hands are back on it now.....

Last edited:
For the people who found the pictures interesting here is a slow motion video showing how the steady vibration of the tuning fork is turned into rotary motion to drive the hands, It's called the "indexing system" which consists of the indexing wheel, index finger that is attached to a post on one of the tuning fork tines, And the paw finger that is attached to a post on the paw bridge that is adjustable for setting the phasing !

A few facts about the Accutron 214 tuning fork movement.

The coil wire is .015 (15 microns) thick

There are 8000 turns of wire used to make the coils

If unspooled the wire used is 90 meters long

The indexing wheel at the heart of the accutron is 2.4mm in diameter and .04mm thick Or 0.095 in. in diameter and 0.0015 in. thick

The indexing wheel has 300 perfect ratchet teeth, the straight sides of which are 1/100mm (10 microns) 0.0004 in. tall x 0.0008 in. long

The square index & pawl jewels are made of synthetic ruby 0.007 x 0.007 x 0.002 in. and are polished on all six sides

The index & pawl jewel spring fingers are about 1/8 in. long and are made of spring material 0.0006 in. thick x 0.005 in. wide

In one year the indexing wheel turns 38 million times

The tuning fork vibrates 360 times a second

The tuning fork vibrates 11 billion times a year

The tuning forks are made made of a precipitation hardened alloy called "NiSpan-C"

Last edited: