Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some good color shots, trying to clean my lens

oic0

Just a couple shots I got when I was trying to use my camera sort of like a microscope to see whats going on with the lens. And a couple I took of the unfocused beam plus one of the dot indoors. My camera captures the color perfectly, though it does get overpowered indoors and loses its ability to focus when inundated with the blueness. Probably some setting I should adjust. On that note, I'm pretty sure the spot on my lens is between the two elements right where they touch since cleaning from either side has done nothing but dirtied up the edges so far and probably taken off some of the AR coating with my vigorous scrubbing. Ill probably just order another. (no its not on the diode window, it rotates with the lens).

Indoors, flash on
mcswi8.jpg

outdoors, daylight
2krfvq.jpg

indoors, dim lighting
14j6p7t.jpg

Last edited:

ZapU

Good macro range on your camera.
You should bring your pixel width to 600 - 800 so it will fit the screen without side scrolling.
Your last shot needed a tripod.

I doubt you would see that spot in the focused beam.

This is a result of the lenses being too close to each other, possibly making contact.
I have a lens that does exactly that.
I added another spacer between the elements and the beam was much better with no ring in the center.

oic0

What kind of tool loosens that ring? from the scratches you can see I tried, to no avail.

They make a tool for that, it looks like a pair of pylers with rounded tips
that go into the two holes, i don't know what they are called thou.

oic0

pair of pointy tweezers did the job, then held the lens for cleaning. The top lens had a spot of something on it. looked like something left over from the coating process. Only downside is now all of the scrubbing has added some artifacts, ohwell. When focused it runs good.

oic0

A cotton Q-tip, probably why I scratched it up a bit but I didn't have anything else that could get down in there before I took it apart.

i tried that too, all i does is make it look even more like a flashlight. i think i need some compressed air.

oic0

i tried that too, all i does is make it look even more like a flashlight. i think i need some compressed air.

What's yours doing? like a flashlight? It dirty or clean wont affect the ability to focus, just the power output and cleanness of the dot. The issue with mine is only noticeable when its very defocused as in the top pic. If yours looks like that all the time maybe its in backwards or way out of focus?