Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some dumbass shined a laser at a helicoptor in Detroit

I wonder what a 1 to 3 watt laser looks like to a jet airliner cruising at altitude of 39,000 feet, Once I thought I was pointing very briefly at a star but I realized it was moving but it was def at altitude flying a flight corridor which is around 35,000 feet give or take a thousand feet or so........

Radim

In my entirely unsubstantiated opinion, I'd probably say that >90% of these 'laser attacks' involve some idiot with a cheap laser 301/303, a cheap ebay penlaser, or one of those sub $50 'aircraft aluminum burning military' ebay lasers. It's actually crazy just how cheap these things have gotten. A laser 301 is a pretty decent laser(capability wise), and it's like $8 shipped. Green penlasers can be had for like $2 sometimes. Green lasers have reached price levels where even the biggest idiots of society can buy one like they would buy a freaking hamburger or something. I feel like if they were $40-50 at minimum we would probably see something like a 75% decrease in these 'laser attacks'.

The people who invest the money in buying quality lasers are generally educated enough to know why pointing at planes and helicopters is stupid.

Good point. Unfortunately these lasers are often more powerful than pointers. But how to prevent strict regulation on portables? I'm always worried when I read something like this when they will start discussing regulation in my country. I do not know any local laser enthusiasts yet to get some action to get regulation (if necessary), which does not ruin my hobby. I have ideas, but how to let them to be heared? Maybe that day will be the day I'll enter politics. :D

Reactions: GSS

Radim

I wonder what a 1 to 3 watt laser looks like to a jet airliner cruising at altitude of 39,000 feet, Once I thought I was pointing very briefly at a star but I realized it was moving but it was def at altitude flying a flight corridor which is around 35,000 feet give or take a thousand feet or so........

Try to look here:
Laser Pointer Safety - Basic principles of laser beam hazards for aviation

Here:
Laser Pointer Safety - Laser hazard distances chart

And here:

Laser Pointer Safety - What makes lasers hazardous to aviation

Also interesting stats:

Laser Pointer Safety - Latest aviation statistics

Very good site, however I guess you know it already.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
In my entirely unsubstantiated opinion, I'd probably say that >90% of these 'laser attacks' involve some idiot with a cheap laser 301/303, a cheap ebay penlaser, or one of those sub $50 'aircraft aluminum burning military' ebay lasers. It's actually crazy just how cheap these things have gotten. A laser 301 is a pretty decent laser(capability wise), and it's like $8 shipped. Green penlasers can be had for like $2 sometimes. Green lasers have reached price levels where even the biggest idiots of society can buy one like they would buy a freaking hamburger or something. I feel like if they were $40-50 at minimum we would probably see something like a 75% decrease in these 'laser attacks'.

The people who invest the money in buying quality lasers are generally educated enough to know why pointing at planes and helicopters is stupid.

Maybe an unsubstantiated opinion, but I'd agree with it, you're right on the money in my opinion! :beer:

Last edited:
i have a neighbor his jack of all trades, master of none last year i was outside pointing my laser NDG7475 520nm in the sky and then when i turned around i saw my neighbor shining a laser right at me hit me direct in face and i turned around not to get hit in the eye, his 43y old and he got the laser at the dollar store its red i told him its dangerous shining it at people ( the laser is tiny red ) he was like this is nothing what you have yours more high power i told him glad you don't have one of this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Partial quote:
Oh, Alaskan, I'm always nervous about experiencing something like this. Last time I was photographing there were so many planes in the sky, I most of the time prepared the setup and than just switch laser off as some aircraft was nearby. In addition there was a small plane still around - probably student with instructor training night approaches to runway and it was not visible in FlightRadar. But my beam was directed much higher than area of that plane, very diffused through sphere and branches of trees and switched off when the aircraft was around plus some time more to be sure....

Two things to be concerned about, #1 accidentally flashing a plane, although not likely, it can happen. #2 your neighbor turning you in for pointing at airplanes even though you weren't. It's getting so bad now with these idiots in the news that might be the automatic assumption now.

My story is actually worse, that same plane flew directly over me at very low altitude, maybe 800 feet. I am sure it was a message, and I was not using a low power 532nm!

Partial quote:

Two things to be concerned about, #1 accidentally flashing a plane, although not likely, it can happen. #2 your neighbor turning you in for pointing at airplanes even though you weren't. It's getting so bad now with these idiots in the news that might be the automatic assumption now.

My story is actually worse, that same plane flew directly over me at very low altitude, maybe 800 feet. I am sure it was a message, and I was not using a low power 532nm!
I don't think it's as bad as you might think, airplanes for the most part fly in fairly well defined approach paths and altitude's coming into and out of airport airspaces and although not impossible most pilots would not go out of their way to try to "send a message" to anyone on the ground because deviating from a planed flight path is not a good idea unless it is safer to do so.....

Last edited:

Radim

Partial quote:

I completely agree with both points.

Yes, it could be a message. I believe professional pilots are aware of effects of laser hit, therefore they can recognize accidental and intentional hits and react accordingly - switch the lights on to announce their presence in first case or report the intentional hits. The neighbour with automatic assumption might really be a problem especially if the police arrives and if they are not really understanding. But if the officers are good guys, you explain them the issue and they might be even interested and you might have a nice chat about your hobby with them. That's why it is better to get to some remote place where noone is likely to see your laser activities.

I even consider to make some signs to mark up paths leading to place where I'm doing my art in the summer, when people might be expected in night forest. Just telling them to shout and notify me and to let me switch lasers off and let them pass. For this I also consider to print some of the artworks on 10×15 cm to give them to these people as thanks for patience and as questions might be asked what the hell I'm doing with lasers in the forest. :)

Jhop

Re: Some dumbass shined a laser at a helicopter in Detroit

I agree about the airplane pilots, most likely they are to set in their pre determined plan to worry about a laser. More likly a helicopter pilot would do something though, as they have more freedom so to speak

I have over 2,000 hours as pilot in command time myself, as far as the route he took, it might have been coincidence, as that path is fairly close to the normal approach path the one of the runways at a airport about 10 miles further west, but being that low, that is not normal, not that far out. Was probably a commuter from one of the communities on the other side of the mountain range 100 miles east. Although they don't normally come in from that direction so low for a landing, prevailing winds normally have them approaching from the west to land, not east.

Re: Some dumbass shined a laser at a helicopter in Detroit

I agree about the airplane pilots, most likely they are to set in their pre determined plan to worry about a laser. More likly a helicopter pilot would do something though, as they have more freedom so to speak
Very true but even helicopter pilots must have a special permit in most places to fly bellow 5000 feet within city limits.....

Pattern altitude is 800 feet, normally, 2000 feet above populated areas is the rule for small aircraft, but never less than 500 in sparsely populated.

GSS

A star with flashing lights didn't tip you off?:can:

The aircraft have red and green nav lights on their wing tips, red flashing on the tail. You cannot always see those lights if they are high, but if the landing light is on, you might briefly think that was a star.

GSS

Is 35,000 feet a low ceiling for a commercial jet?