Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLD 520mW S06J build $150 SHIPPED

Re: FS> S06J 12X Trustfire TR-B3 [PRICE DROP]

A bump with some beamshots, enjoy! Pardon the clutter, there were people cleaning our grout, and I took the opportunity to use the bit of fog they were creating to take these :)

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0678-1.jpg

IMG_0665-1.jpg

Last edited:

Re: FS> S06J 12X Trustfire TR-B3 $195 VIDEO ADDED

Just a quick bump. Video added, and laser being sent off today to get metered! Will update with results!

Hiemal

Bloompyle, you know without a buck driver there's no point in making it three cell.

The extra cell isn't doing basically anything and is just making the driver hotter than it needs to be.

What I would honestly recommend to do is to get a buck driver. That way you don't produce as much heat, and you'll also get much longer run times.

Just my 2 cents.

Bloompyle, you know without a buck driver there's no point in making it three cell.

The extra cell isn't doing basically anything and is just making the driver hotter than it needs to be.

What I would honestly recommend to do is to get a buck driver. That way you don't produce as much heat, and you'll also get much longer run times.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually, the ghostdrive has high dropout, and 12X's require high in-voltage. So it does make sense, plus the host requires 3 16340's. Not much I can think of that's exactly 1.5 times the size of a 16340. To put it this way, running these off a 9V battery, or 445's off a 9V, only lasts until there is about 7.5Vish left. The 3 cells are necessary, and that's also how this host was designed.

Alright. So I just got it in the mail from Bloom to do a mini-review/price estimation/LPMing for him. So upon first inspection, there is a pretty hefty nick on the sideo f the host that Bloom didn't picture. It's like someone cut a horizontal slot upwards towards the head right below where the head screws in. Odd. Bloom, it seems like it was done on purpose? Care to explain?

Also of note: there are three imperfections on the diode's window. Minor though, not too much to be concerned about.

What is bizarre is that the lens seems to create an odd X-shape of wings around the central, unfocused dot.

Anyway, here is the LPMing.

Bloompyle%27s%20405.png

(I shut it off at the end there)

I thought it was weird that power started dropping out so quickly. Then I figured that yes, I should probably check the tailcap current to make sure it's not the diode overheating but instead the driver not providing enough current. Sure enough, at about the 15-20 second mark, it started dropping in output current. Unfortunately, Bloompy, it is the driver overheating. Using 3x16340 was not the best idea - you are providing it with TOO much voltage. It seems like it may stabilize around the 175-200mA mark.

In order to combat this, I would suggest that either A) I ship it back to you to have you change out the driver to a buck driver or B) advise that the buyer use the lowest voltage batteries he/she can - something along the lines of primary Li-ions or LiFe batteries (those have a max voltage of 3.2 instead of 4.2 that li-ions have).

Overall, it's really not a bad laser. A lens spring could be added, the tailcap could be a bit more smooth going on (not really an issue). But, the driver thing is a big downer - especially with a 405-G2 lens.

Knowing this, Bloom, will you change your price?

EDIT: Also - just tested this. If you have two high quality IMR 16340s, or even 18350s and you put a spacer in there for the third one, you should get a longer run time and less quickly decreasing power. While you will be just riding above the necessary voltage, at least the driver won't overheat. Up to you.

Last edited:

I was the original owner of this host.

The slot is where a crappy spring steel clip once was. I removed it after it became stretched out and would no longer return to it's correct position.

Last edited:

I did notice the gash, but I got it like that and it didn't seem to serve any purpose, plus if you notice there's a bit of a "ditch" if you will below it that is painted equally with the rest of the host like it was there to begin with. I have no idea what it could be, so I just assumed it was supposed to be there, or it was where there was a loop of some sort, and that got cut off. Although a loop wouldn't help much there :/

Also, pictures of the "x-shape" and odd wing were sent to DTR (where I bought the diode and lens from) he assured me all was fine and that it shouldn't be visible with glasses on. I asked if it'd be safe to not mention it in the sales thread (was originally added in the OP) he said it'd be fine.

I had no idea the power was dropping, I rarely kept it on too long, and don't have any spacers. I asked Ghostchrome if running the driver at 12.6V would be okay (knowing these and 445's require high inputs) because he said never over 12V, and he said it'd be fine for that exact reason, these diodes need a lot of in voltage. However, running this driver with an LPC-815 on 12.6V would be a horrible idea. I don't know what drivers are buck drivers, those are new to me (I left the forums when we had about 3-4 drivers to choose from.) Go ahead and ship her back and I'll replace the driver. How was removing it from the heatsink?

I had a small spring it it when I used it, although reading over Jayrob's 405 g-1 thread, he said using a smaller spring wouldn't be a good idea, and that teflon tape would be better. Teflon tape is something I do not have, and I didn't want the shortened spring to get loose when the lens was further unscrewed, and then nick the diode window,.

Last edited:

Yeah, the x-shape isn't a big deal. The gash doesn't matter to much either, you're right.

What I would recommend is, instead of switching out the driver, just get some spacers. No point in doing a nearly complete rebuild of the laser.

EDIT: I didn't actually remove anything from the heatsink. Just tested the tailcap current.

Last edited:

Yeah, the x-shape isn't a big deal. The gash doesn't matter to much either, you're right.

What I would recommend is, instead of switching out the driver, just get some spacers. No point in doing a nearly complete rebuild of the laser.

EDIT: I didn't actually remove anything from the heatsink. Just tested the tailcap current.

Go ahead and send her back, I'll get her ready for sale. With the spacer in place, would you still recommend a dip in price?

Alright, should I actually get a machined spacer, or get some washers? I could probably figure something out, I just need something as long as a 16340 that conducts correct? I think I'll get a large bolt, put a nut on one end, and wrap it in electrical tape. I feel that should do the trick.

Alright then, that'd be messy.

There are ready-made spacers for most types of cells. Just look online for 16340 spacer and you'll find a ton. I'll ship it out this afternoon. PM me your address?

Re: S> 520mW S06J build $175 SHIPPED

PRIDE DROP! $175! Guys I really need to get this moved and I'd rather not go below this. I could maybe let it got with a glass lens rather than the G2 lens. PM me with an offer if you're interested.

Re: S> 520mW S06J build $175 SHIPPED

BUMP! Still waiting on anything...

Re: S> 520mW S06J build $150 SHIPPED

Alright, some things have come up and this needs to go ASAP! Due to this, I'm going to need to sell it for cost. $150.

S06J diode..............$50
405 G2 lens.............$50
Host + HS...............$30
Ghostdrive V2..........$7
3x 16340 batteries...$8
Spacer...................$5
-------------------------------
TOTAL...................$150

Re: S> 520mW S06J build $150 SHIPPED

Bump, still for sale! And if you buy this week, I'll throw in a FREE "super" overspec green from Swimminsurf if purchased by midnight [mountain time] FRIDAY 4/27/2012

Last edited: