Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solarforce L2E Build w/M462 (Pic Heavy)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
The "Anglehead"

RrjiaqT.jpg

Hey guys, here's my most recent build, it's based on the "Solarforce L2E" angle head flashlight.
While this is definitely not the first angle head (headlight) style flashlight to be modded into a "coherent light emittimg device":LOL:, you don't see too many around.

I've been wanting to do a 90° angle build ever since I saw a very cool vintage "Daimon" (German) angle head flashlight on ebay a couple of years ago.
I missed out on getting that one, but the idea stayed with me, so I started looking for alternatives, but most of todays angle head lights are used as "headlamp" lights and are rather small for what I had in mind.

I ended up going back to my favorite flashlight source for many of my laser builds ....Solarforce, where I found thier L2E angle head model; a much larger, heavier unit capable of multiple battery configurations.
This host turned out to be almost perfect for my purposes, it has an extra heavy HAIII anodized body with high quality threading, knurling, and overall build quality which also utilizes a spring at both the head and tailcap ends.
There is one other unique feature to be noted, it has a strong magnet mounted at the top of the head which allows this guy to mount to any magnetic surface available! 🆒

I decided to mate this host up with one of DTR's M462nm diodes that was purchased diring one of his special sales on Amazon way back in June; thanks Jordan! :)

Components used in this build:
  • "Solarforce L2E" 90° flashlight host.
  • "M462" diode. (DTR)
  • 12mm copper module w/aluminum back. (DTR)
  • SXD V-7 driver.
  • Custom copper heatsink. (BTG)
  • Custom matching focus adapter. ( BTG)
  • 2 x 18350 Efest Li-Ion batteries. (Efest 900mAh)
  • Battery reducer tube for 16340 battery usage. (BTG)
Dimensions & Weight:
  • Length w/o extension = 140.25mm (5.52")
  • Length with extension = 208.75mm (8.21")
  • Width of head with focus adapter at max. extension = 65mm (2.55")
  • Diameter of head = 34.00mm (1.34")
  • Weight with copper heatsink + 2 x 18350 batteries = 340g (12.0oz)
  • Weight with copper heatsink + 2 x 18650 batteries & extension = 412g (14.53oz)
Measured Power Output:

3 Element Lens -
  • 1 x 18650 w/3E = 198mW
  • 2 x 18350 w/3E = 2W
  • 2 x 18650 w/3E = 2.023W
G-2 Lens -
  • 1 x 18650 w/G-2 = 268mW
  • 2 x 18350 w/G-2 = 2.6W
  • 2 x 18650 w/G-2 = 2.6W
G-3 Lens -
  • 1 x 18650 w/G-3 = 205mW
  • 2 x 18350 w/G-3 = 2.157W
  • 2 x 18650 w/G-3 =2.077W

Finally, it's time for some project photos! :D

The "Solarforce L2E" host.
WZmNpVl.jpg

Assembled host shown with optional battery tube for use with 2 x 18650 batteries.
uq3A7Ky.jpg

Head and tailcap pieces showing the heavy, high quality construction, including heavy duty gold plated springs used at both ends of the battery.
nMzxokt.jpg

Head detail showing the 90° transition of battery power, Pos. (+) is in center, and the Neg. (-) is the thin, unanodized ring around the outer pocket; they are saparated by a plastic disc.
IYFcHdv.jpg

Here is the location of the large magnet in the head, under a removable threaded cap. The magnet can be removed if desired.
BhMn67v.jpg
-

Copper Heatsink & the backside of the focus adjuster.
8qBvYwL.jpg
-

Beadblasted focus adapter being prepped for paint & matte clearcoat to match the host.
OcpcBdY.jpg

Copper heatsink with battery board and spring.
0kbT7Ko.jpg

Almost done!
SYbtEBI.jpg

First light, always satisfying! :D
blKgKXf.jpg

Time for a few Beamshots!

The first photo beam, and the beam reflection on the table in the second photo most clearly approximate the actual wavelength color.

Q9XzbNb.jpg

jmevrok.jpg

mirhFo2.jpg

3VdXq0U.jpg

The following pic shows the laser being held in place by its magnet.
PS - extra credit for Len if he sees this and notices something familiar in this photo!
;)
HCqZ8Us.jpg

Finally, a few pics taken outside on a foggy afternoon.

2jnNbPy.jpg

Same shot, a little later (and darker).
9cAS8KC.jpg

CZG1E6h.jpg

0kww6RD.jpg

That's all for now folks! :)

Thanks for looking, and making it all the way through, ....now back to your scheduled programing!

A super clean build - Love the focus ring and how it fits between the sink and the body of the host completely covering the Copper, very nice :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Immo, it turned out pretty good; being the same color almost makes it look like an original part of the host.

Encap

Great photos as always, something different and unusual that worked out well, very clean build.
Good job.

Very nice, I like it and have thought about doing something similar, I bet it feels good in hand. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks trinh, Encap and RCB, I appreciate the comments!

@RED - You're right, it does feel good and natural to hold this way, the only thing that I would have prefered, is if the switch had been located on the back of the head, where you could use your thumb to turn it on and off.

Last edited:
Great job, Jeff. What did you have the driver set to? I'm curious as you seem to be getting more power out than at 1.8 amps. The color looks the same as my 465nm NDB7675 build. I have an M462 in my stock as well from the same sale where you acquired yours.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you, Paul and Curtis, glad you liked it!

@Paul - Yes, I set the driver for 1.8A, and you're right, that's way more output than I expected; I didn't believe my output readings, so I double checked the output with a different LPM, same results!
I am somewhat worried about longevity at this power, but all through the photographing and some additional playing, it hung in there; I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. :)

@curtis - Yeah, I figured I'd try something a little different this time around. I really like the feel of it in hand, and being square at the head end, it sits securely most any way you set it down.

Holy moly!
That is really awesome host with great M462 Diode! Both are just great choices, build looks clean & very professional..
Also pictures are Top Notch! (y)

Thanks for sharing!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks, Rich, AD, & SGD, I appreciate your kind words, and am glad to see that you like the project! :D

@rich - I remember that "army light" build,(y) I like that style host; I'd like to come across one of those vintage all metal ones, or one of the early, metal Boy Scout models that is still in decent shape.

Hi BTG,
Try looking on eBay vintage items they have many different options there.

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Rich!
Yep, that's where I look occasionally, as they do come up from time to time, but they're usually in pretty rough shape. I'm not in any hurry, I'll just keep my eyes open.
BTW, ebay collectable flashlights is where I almost scored that vintage "Daimon" light.