Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

so discouraging!

daguin

mikeeey said:
as of right now... mine isnt exactly dead..it's just not usable. my positive and negative legs came off!

That would be problematic ;)

Peace,
dave

caleb

use some heatshrnk too :)

i recked my first diode too :-[ :'( :mad: and recently bough a new one. :cool:

yea i'm up to three now myself all bluray :'( and one thing for certain is #4
is going to be here soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) :eek: ;D ;)

k-shell said:
[quote author=thesk8nmidget link=1222802763/0#10 date=1222809766]try some solder that has 62/36/2% tin/lead/silver.

this is ideal for surface mount applications and thats what you are doing.

Is this surface mount or through hole?

anyways i use some Rosin core 60/40 tin/lead

most silver solders melt at a much higher temperature then normal solder! but silver solders conduct heat much better and are stronger.

normal tin/lead should melt around 450F.[/quote]

I agree... for standard PCBs we've been using Kester and Multicore .020" - .031" rosin core solder
for many years without any problems. And we haven't seen a tip get damaged by rosin. :-?
The solder we use is small enough and makes a great electrical/mechanical bond for most electronics.
There is no need to add additional flux paste. :)

The biggest problem is operator error... one needs to know proper soldering techniques.  ;)

BTW Mohrenberg... I'm getting pretty good at blowing a few LDs as well... I think we all have been
there... and some of us are still there.  ;D ;D

I'm up to 4 blown diodes o crap :mad: i shouldn't have twisted that axis housing mistakes

waiting for another diode to arrive from toked323, i traded 3 of those $10 rohm diodes for a 16x diode he had.
i have a digital multimeter so i can read mw now. so assuming he shipped it already, i should get it in the mail in a day or two i hope.
i also modded one of rckstr drivers i had, i removed the 12r4 resistor and made it go from 245ma, to 144ma, and i am going to use that for those rohm diodes.

.......twisting the aixiz module housing was my last mistake too.....adjusting the lens was putting pressure on my solder points of the diode/driver and the LD came off, charge up the driver, and blew my diode on reconnection, thats my best guess as to what happened anyways.

Mohrenberg said:
waiting for another diode to arrive from toked323, i traded 3 of those $10 rohm diodes for a 16x diode he had.
i have a digital multimeter so i can read mw now. so assuming he shipped it already, i should get it in the mail in a day or two i hope.
i also modded one of rckstr drivers i had, i removed the 12r4 resistor and made it go from 245ma, to 144ma, and i am going to use that for those rohm diodes.

.......twisting the aixiz module housing was my last mistake too.....adjusting the lens was putting pressure on my solder points of the diode/driver and the LD came off, charge up the driver, and blew my diode on reconnection, thats my best guess as to what happened anyways.

Just make sure your multimeter is on the AMPS setting. ;) The ma's setting has INTERNAL RESISTANCE and when you hook up the diode it won't be set for the right current and kill the diode instantly.

Also,have you seen this video? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
Before I watched the video I FAILED a LOT when TRYING to solder.

--hydro15

Maybe you should change your name to Moronberg. J/K

Sorry man, I could'nt resist. ;D

ED

ah i like that videos.....learned a few things.

i played with my driver again lol. i decided that 150 was too low...so i put the 12r4 resister back on, and removed a 25r5 so now i'm reading it at around 195 mA, for my next sony16x diode.

I've snapped the legs off of 2X 80mW (CW) 650nm LD's and off of a 1W 808nm (that hurt). but i have never had problems with soldering them, they are really easy to solder, i put the diode in the housing first (so it conducts the heat from the soldering iron away and prevents the diode overheating). then tin the leads a little and bobs your uncle! i use bog-standard 60/40 solder, no seperate flux and set the soldering iron to roughly 260C. oh... and dont forgot the heat shrink :D.

EDIT: maybe i should have looked at the date of last post before posting this... bad habit!
threads should be removed if unactive for so long

Asherz

Guys check the date before reviving an old thread, I'm quite sure Moh has soldered enough diodes now to build a small house out of them.

and why should old threads be removed? The whole point of this site is to house a data archive of information about lasers, just take the time to check the date before posting :)

if anyone is completly new to Laser diode and they just happen to read this forum then i guess what i wrote might possibly help... or make things worse lol everyone has thier own soldering techniques and preferences.
My bad :oops: