Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Smart Arduino driver/microcontroller

So, I was talking to a programmer friend on Skype and I came up with a really sweet idea. An arduino based driver/microcontroller that can be hooked up to an LCD to show you battery, current (you can control that with a dial or buttons or something, and program the max and min), and temperature of the laser, as well as possibly being able to make custom flashing modes. It will automatically shut down or decrease the current when it gets too hot, and warn you with an LED or something when the batteries are getting low. Possibly even a micro USB jack for charging. Maybe also a keypad that makes you type in a password to turn on the laser.

This is all just brainstorming, I haven't worked with arduino before, but I'm a quick learner, and my programmer friend is going to help me. If any of you could help me figure this out, that would be great. If we could get this to fit in a relatively small sized host, I think it would make for a sweet, and safe, laser. And since Arduino is so versatile, we should easily be able to customize it for different diodes and flashlight LEDs, and maybe even be able to control multiple at a time (3W 445nm and a 1000+ lumen flashlight, anyone?)

Last edited:

[Inserting forced reply here :c]
Also you're going to need a numpad/keythingy if you want a keypad.. those aren't that compact.

Also you're going to need a numpad/keythingy if you want a keypad.. those aren't that compact.

You could just use 10 tiny buttons and label them 0-9 though, right?
Or better yet, just have 3 inline buttons and have a simple pattern passcode, similar to what WickedLasers does.

djQUAN

you can use a ring around the host that turns much like a combination lock but that wouldn't be an easy DIY.

you can use a ring around the host that turns much like a combination lock but that wouldn't be an easy DIY.

I think the 3 inline buttons would be the easiest way to go, both for making and using. A combination lock to turn on a laser sounds like a waste of time compared to pressing 3 different buttons in a short pattern.

Things

It's a good idea, but you'll have issues fitting all this into a host. You'll need to do your own circuit/PCB design to get it down to a smaller size. Maybe for a box type build, but handheld would be tricky and relatively large.

djQUAN

I think the 3 inline buttons would be the easiest way to go, both for making and using. A combination lock to turn on a laser sounds like a waste of time compared to pressing 3 different buttons in a short pattern.

but once the laser is turned on, imagine using the ring as a pot for continuously variable power output. :D

but once the laser is turned on, imagine using the ring as a pot for continuously variable power output. :D

True, but is it worth it taking forever to turn on? I could see the ring just being used for that, but not as a combination lock.

It's a good idea, but you'll have issues fitting all this into a host. You'll need to do your own circuit/PCB design to get it down to a smaller size. Maybe for a box type build, but handheld would be tricky and relatively large.

Yeah, this wouldn't be very practical in a handheld host. Maybe after I start to get the feel for how things work I could shrink it down some.

EDIT: What if you could control the laser via wifi with your smartphone? If you leave the laser by your front door, you could set up a little alarm system with it. Set up your phone camera to detect motion, if someone breaks into your house it turns on and confuses the person, maybe pops some baloons to wake you up (and scare the person), then you can call the police or get your gun and scare them off. Or it could just blind them, but I wouldn't recommend that ;)

Last edited:

You could use an IR/optical sensor and a cogwheel pattern on the inside to make a jogger dial.

Twist L/R to make the right numbers show on the display, and once the laser is on, use it for another function like adjustable power out?

Food for thought...