Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

smaller beam SUCESS!!!

Kenom

I set about recently to see what I could do to reduce the beam in a bluray laser. We all know that the low wavelength makes it so that the beam is hard to see and with the already large diameter of the exit aperture on the aixiz, it makes the beam look even larger.

It was my hope that by reducing the size of the module that I would be able to reduce the size of the beam. I tried multiple different modules and a few of them had no sucess because they were designed to focus the red laser diodes that were mounted inside them and not the extremely short wavelength of bluray. However I did find one host that had a longer thread for the lens allowing it to be focused out longer than the other modules I tried.

Results. I was able to reduce the beam down to 3mm compared to the 4.7mm of an aixiz module. Let me tell you folks this is one hell of a difference. Now the offset is, obviously by having a smaller exit aperture on the module it also restricts a bit more of the light generated by the laser diode. However it was not my hope to create an ultra powerful thin beam. Just merely thin.

I would love to take beamshots and all that in comparison to an aixiz module or for that matter a barrel however, I shipped my bluray in a barrel. ( i just coined a new term.) to the anodizers for them to get an example of what these things look like and such fully functional. I would also like to post the host. *(another ryhm) but I've yet to find anymore that are even reasonable. Just wanted to let folks know that there is hope for reducing the diameter of the beams on our blurays...

Visual

Attachments

• beams_001.jpg
    beams_001.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 91

Switch

Oh , but if it just restricts it from exiting, does it apear any brigther? :-/ Have you tested it with the power meter? I mean, fro 4.7mm down to 3mm must be some power loss... :p

Ya know a piece of metal with a hole perhaps a washer with a small diameter hole stuck to the aperture to truncate the beam sides would have worked. Another approach is using a shorter focal length PCX lens

JLSE

I have tried this idea in a couple of different ways. One was the aperture approach, I simply placed a 405nm mounted in an axiz module the placed it in a machined heatsink with a hole that would better suit a greenie. This reduced the power but only allowed the center of the beam to exit, which took away the oblong dot and beam. The idea behind this was to find the smallest hole size that no longer reduced the output power of the beam on my heatsinks.

The other idea I played around with is also a power eater, and is the same idea of a range extender. I used the axiz lens to focus the beam down, then pass it through an expander, and then a second collimating lens (glass). You can clean up the beam nicely, but can also lose up to 35-40mW. Lets just say its worth it if you like a nice crisp beam and dont mind the power loss.

A good guy to run your ideas past when it comes to optics is IgorT. Seems hes the best guy to talk to for optics :) , better make that lasers and electronics in general ;)

I really don't think kenom's new module with reduce the power as much as placing something in front of an aixiz would. In fact, I don't think the power losses would even be very substantial. It's not like he's using a huge module with just a tiny lens for the opening, this is a tiny tiny tiny module with an appropriately sized lens. So it's not like the light is being restricted down to a small hole, rather the small hole is all it needs to get the output out since the housing of the module is also so tiny.

I'd be very curious to see some aixiz vs kenom's new module tests.

Kenom

here are some shots I copied from a video I took.

Attachments

• untitled_031.JPG
    untitled_031.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 76
ohhh baby!

only a few things to say...

thank you and please share!

this is a must for future scanner additions!

Why not just use a different lens with a more appropriate focal length?
It would simplify the whole process and preserve more power than just "clipping" the beam.

I tried this set-up with a normal aixis and got a 1.5-2mm beam with decent divergence. But allot of power was lost in the concave glass lens.
small.jpg