Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Small pt-54 flashlight

ix551

Got a pt-54 from Flaminpyro some months ago (Thanks a lot! :D)
Been playing with this beast for a while, but I was saving it for a custom flashlight, I wanted the smallest 18650 host I could find, I ordered this little fellow and started working on the project as soon as I received it.

The flashlight driver pill was very small, I had to cut the led module dangerously close to the actual led, trying to leave some extra room for accessing the cathode contact, which I thought I permanently shorted during the cut, luckily I was able to fix it.

cutled.jpg

note the messy contact, that's the cathode (-)

Then I installed the led module into the driver pill, I also enlarged one of it's holes to make room for a cable, I used one of the included cables from the PT-54 connector, those can take a lot of heat! The plastic wouldn't melt, even while trying to solder it.
I could never managed to actually make a bond between the module and the cable, the solder would easily come out from the module's contact. Maybe my solder iron is dying...

installedled.JPG

My solution was to insulate the lower part of the reflector so that it will press upon the cable and the contact while the flashlight is fully assembled.
The led is connected directly to a protected 18650.

reflector.JPG

It seems to be a little misaligned, however...

...It works great! this little monster spits out and incredible amount of very narrow red light!

front%20off.jpg

front%20on.JPG

It's actually insane, taking into account this pictures were taken in a very lit room

back%20off.JPG

back%20on.JPG

Of course, because of the led, the duty cycle is ridiculous, I don't dare shining it more for more than 3~4 seconds without getting worried, so this is basically, an incredible annoying portable red strobe :D

I'll try to light up my neighborhood tonight and return with some pics.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Nice :D

I need to attemp something like that but with a light that has more heatsink mass :D

btw, did you use an flux while soldering? flux helps your solder flow smoothly

Last edited:

ix551

Nice work!

Nice :D

I need to attemp something like that but with a light that has more heatsink mass :D

btw, did you use an flux while soldering? flux helps your solder flow smoothly

Thank you very much guys! :D

About the flux.. of course, tried many times, but it seems that the brass base of the led module sends most of the soldering iron's heat to any surface or table I'm working on, so heating it up to be able to solder it becomes a problem :(
I'll try again later.

Please try this build yourself! It's a unique light source, I loved it

ix551

Nice build my friend :eek:
Did you cut the led with the dremel?

Thanks! Yes, first I was cutting it with the dremel, but it was getting really hot, making it really slow, I finished cutting it with a small pincer

Yes, it seems that the piece has a copper substrate for heat dissipation. I imagine it to get very hot very fast.

LaZeRz

might wanna ask someone like DTR how he soldered his, haha

When it comes to soldering, hes the master :)