Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Slight overclock question.

Voldy356

So, I was thinking, is it safe to run the Mitsubishi ML501P73 diode with 1A in cw mode (I'd run it 5-10 seconds on, minute off duty cycle, if that works.)
I know I'd need adequate cooling, but I'm just scared of frying the diode.
Thanks.

Encap

Look at the data sheet here: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/semiconductors/content/product/optical/laser/ml501p73_p1245.pdf
According to it max cw is 500mW and max operating current is 800 mA so...
Note on data sheet says: "Note1: The maximum rating means the limitation over which the laser should not be operated even instant time. "

DTR's Laser shop ---- shows 1A will do 900mW and is max current DTR suggests---cw but not without adequate heat sinking other than just a moment for testing. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/mitsubishi-635nm-500mw-diodes

Use LPF Search there are several threads on that diode.

Last edited:
Yep, looks more than a slight "overclock" to me. I know some of those diodes can be pushed close to 1 watt without failing, but I would expect the life to be severely shortened at 1 amp. I have a pointer with that diode in it which puts out close to 1 watt, just under and hasn't died yet.

Voldy356

Look at the data sheet here: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/semiconductors/content/product/optical/laser/ml501p73_p1245.pdf
According to it max cw is 500mW and max operating current is 800 mA so...
Note on data sheet says: "Note1: The maximum rating means the limitation over which the laser should not be operated even instant time. "

DTR's Laser shop ---- shows 1A will do 900mW and is max current---cw but not without adequate heat sinking other than just a moment for testing. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/mitsubishi-635nm-500mw-diodes

Use LPF Search there are several threads on that diode.
Aight, thanks for the info.

I have one doing well over 1 watt and it has been running for a few years now. These 638nm red diodes have terrible divergence specs, so I don't use it as much as other lasers I have just because of that. These diodes are quite inexpensive, so even if you lost one it wouldn't set you back much. One of these days I plan on using a cylinder lens pair to get some control over the wild divergence of the slow axis on these diodes, but it is way back on my list of things to do.

Hi,
I also have a few Mitsu 500's at over 1W and are still running after 3 years. These diodes aren't as fussy as the Oclaro 700'S , and the 500's can take a licking.
Rich:)fullsizeoutput_c78.jpeg

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I agree, Rich and Paul, I've had my 1+ Watt working since 2014 and still going.
Like Paul mentioned, mine also doesn't get a lot of use lately due to terrible divergance.

Encap

Tough diode with good heat sinking and installed in a host if you are OK with the bad divergence.

Not sure if you meant assembled in module and host or just running it as a bare diode.
Be very careful not to fry it, if just powering up the bare diode.

Last edited:
Hi
If divergence is an issue use a beam expander with minimal loss of power
Rich:)

Voldy356

Tough diode with good heat sinking and installed in a host if you are OK with the bad divergence.

Not sure if you meant assembled in module and host or just running it as a bare diode.
Be very careful not to fry it, if just powering up the bare diode.
I have it in a standard heatsink and a c6 host. At 800mA the diode barely hear up at all.