Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sl-7 survival laser (need help please)

Heinosity

I bought this laser and soldered it together (the diode pressed into the heatsink to the driver)...i bought the diode from dtr store and installed it with the backplate that the 12mm diode comes in..Later I noticed that all the pre soldered diode/driver kits he sells (which i cant buy in the US) dont have the screw in back part to the diode heatsink. The laser stays on for about a minute on the first power button push. After like 50 seconds it turns off...Then I can turn it back on basically immediately, but it only stays on for like 10 seconds. The heatsink from the outside of the host isnt THAT hot, but maybe its overheating? I applied thermal compound and everything should be good...The duty cycle on survival lasers says 2 minutes on to 1 minute off....I cant even get over a full minute. Did i do something wrong? why cant i achieve that 2 minutes? Do these drivers have an auto shut off function if they get too hot? Could it possibly be the batteries?

Please help lol!

Thanks in advance

gazer101

I bought this laser and soldered it together (the diode pressed into the heatsink to the driver)...i bought the diode from dtr store and installed it with the backplate that the 12mm diode comes in..Later I noticed that all the pre soldered diode/driver kits he sells (which i cant buy in the US) dont have the screw in back part to the diode heatsink. The laser stays on for about a minute on the first power button push. After like 50 seconds it turns off...Then I can turn it back on basically immediately, but it only stays on for like 10 seconds. The heatsink from the outside of the host isnt THAT hot, but maybe its overheating? I applied thermal compound and everything should be good...The duty cycle on survival lasers says 2 minutes on to 1 minute off....I cant even get over a full minute. Did i do something wrong? why cant i achieve that 2 minutes? Do these drivers have an auto shut off function if they get too hot? Could it possibly be the batteries?

Please help lol!

Thanks in advance
Are you using a driver from SL or DTR?

Heinosity

from SL but Gary the owner said for me to buy the diode from DTR and then buy everything else from him....Not sure if ur in the US, but you cant buy them fully assembled

Can you ask Gary for help??
Nothing should be getting very hot--I would not do that anymore. Can we see your host? (a pic)
Sometimes we can help better if you will tell us (about) where your are . WE may have a member living near you.
welcome to LPF --hak
in Texas USA

Hi,
That sounds like the driver is falling out of regulation, The driver needs to be heat sinked on the IC chip to stay cool for operation.. Here are a few examples .. And it also depends on what diode your running, high power diodes put more from the current.
Rich:)

Attachments

• A8AD9ECA-7F9A-440C-938B-516E8AC61F8E_1_105_c.jpeg
    A8AD9ECA-7F9A-440C-938B-516E8AC61F8E_1_105_c.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3A9F3DFB-DE7C-4E99-81F6-3CC7B039649B_1_105_c.jpeg
    3A9F3DFB-DE7C-4E99-81F6-3CC7B039649B_1_105_c.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 9

Heinosity

its just getting warm to the touch...not hot by any means. I live in chicago, il. And yes, i communicate to him via email but it takes like 2-3 days..

Heinosity

guys its working but it just seems like it isnt working for as long as it should. do these drivers have an auto shutoff function? because its shutting off on its own....if not then thats disconcerting for sure.

Attachments

• sxd_dhsp_1.jpg
    sxd_dhsp_1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3

Heinosity

can u put too much thermal compound? i put a pretty good amount in terms of not too much or too little...is it ok if the compound gets onto the wires possibly when you close it? because its basically inevitable when you push the diode into the heatsink....

guys its working but it just seems like it isnt working for as long as it should. do these drivers have an auto shutoff function? because its shutting off on its own....if not then thats disconcerting for sure.
Like I said the driver is being over heated and falling out of regulation. Its a safety feature that some drivers have built in when they get hot they shut down until cool enough the start again.
I just seen your pic of the driver and if this is what you bought the driver is heat sinked on that Aluminum shelf.

Heinosity

thanks for helping in advance Rich....my question is..what would be the reason...the build is something tried and true...because its a product that im assuming that has been sold many times at this point...its supposed to have a 2/1 duty minute duty cycle...yet i cant get over a minute...i put adequate thermal compound...im just wondering...and honestly it sucks because u basically cant troubleshoot it because if you open it its a disaster with that ceramique thermal compound...what is causing the driver to overheat? btw this is the 7W nubmxxxx whatever its called...the highest wattage diode there is supposedly

thanks for helping in advance Rich....my question is..what would be the reason...the build is something tried and true...because its a product that im assuming that has been sold many times at this point...its supposed to have a 2/1 duty minute duty cycle...yet i cant get over a minute...i put adequate thermal compound...im just wondering...and honestly it sucks because u basically cant troubleshoot it because if you open it its a disaster with that ceramique thermal compound...what is causing the driver to overheat? btw this is the 7W nubmxxxx whatever its called...the highest wattage diode there is supposedly
Being that said I would try another driver , If you had a PSU to check the diode for efficiency . Just because the driver is new doesn't mean it cant have issues. Its easy to pry the driver off the shelf , I use an exacto knife to get under the thermal epoxy little by little and it will separate from the shelf. I done this in repairing customers build many times.
Rich;)

Heinosity

if the driver is falling out of regulation as you say...would that mean there was a perceivable heat through the host? or its just heating up so quickly right on it you wouldnt perceive it? is it possible the battery isnt doing something it needs to be doing?

If the batteries are charged that shouldn't matter. The driver might have a bad IC or resistor they dont test each one for quality control

Please help lol!

Thanks in advance
Your driver need heatsink with current higher than 1.5A if you want to run longtime!
the best way you need paste the driver into both heatsink of body! You can run max current with this way in very longtime!

Your driver need heatsink with current higher than 1.5A if you want to run longtime!
the best way you need paste the driver into both heatsink of body! You can run max current with this way in very longtime!
Hi T,
His driver is heat sinked look at post #7 the aluminum heat sink from SL has a driver shelf and is prewired.