Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Skylasers.net new website...

S

skylasers.net

hi mrmz,

The red portable laser is actually quite good at burning when focused correctly. The laser, at its default setting is good for long distance pointing. If you are looking to do close range burning, make sure to adjust and loosen the aperture lens. You will notice that the end dot will become smaller and smaller. You want to burn or light matches where the dot is the smallest. It may take some trial and error. I've noticed you have mentioned you were looking for something brighter. I believe if you contact support@skylasers.net, they would be willing to trade your red portable laser for a green one of comparable price and power. Thank you for supporting Skylasers.net.

Red lasers are supposed to be hard to see due to the wavelength ^_^

look at it the right angle at night time, and you will be able to see it :p

mrmz

I suppose my initial disappointment was mainly due to not understanding lasers well... and I don't, yet. After I tried and focused it the second time I was able to see the beam, that is why I decided not to return the laser. On the other hand I really liked the construction of the unit. I will try and burn something to help me understand how powerful it is as compared to the green one and report about it later tonight.

This looks like a good website, with good prices. I like the FDA certification, pricing, I've heard good things about response times, IR filter, continuous (not peak) power rating, and focusability. I also think that the high-powered 635nm lasers are really cool!

However, I also have a question: Will these be inwardly focusable for burning, such as an Aixiz module can do? Or can you only unfocus them?

Good luck!

-Mark

Things

A review is only good if you have a KNOWN good laser power meter, and a few various things like IR filters so you can do a thorough test of the laser. Just saying "It is good and bright" isnt really gonna be a helpful review. Not trying to put anyone off, but its a good place to start. I have emailed about doing a review, i'll post back once I get an email. BlueFusion as lent me a power meter for me to test my lasers, so I may aswell try a review while I can!

mrmz

I wasn't trying to testify about the worthiness of the laser itself, but about the service of the company selling them. As I stated earlier, I was looking for a good looking and bright laser.
I tried to burn wood and light matches with it at about 10~12 inches from the tip of the unit and it does start burning immediately, even light colored material.
For those of you needing more technical testing results, will have to wait for someone else since I don't have the resources to perform the tests.

darmom

any new feedback on this company? My WL just burned out (I've probably got about 15 minutes of actual use on it, POS!!), and I'm looking for a new toy. I'm probably looking in the 40-80mw green pointer range. I like their prices, and there seems to be good feedback on the big-daddy units, but I haven't seen anything on the lesser green pointers. Anyone? Bueller?

darmom said:
any new feedback on this company? My WL just burned out (I've probably got about 15 minutes of actual use on it, POS!!), and I'm looking for a new toy.  I'm probably looking in the 40-80mw green pointer range.  I like their prices, and there seems to be good feedback on the big-daddy units, but I haven't seen anything on the lesser green pointers.  Anyone?  Bueller?
WL are POS definitely. you've just wasted your money and let that be a lesson for you. if you want reliable 40mW - 80mW laser pointers, go here. they are reputable for good service and good products.

darmom

Looks like NOVA is all sold out in that power range. hmmmm.... Not sure if I should gamble on skylasers....

darmom

I just emailed with Skylasers. Here's a summary (#4 is probably the most interesting):

1. Yes, we guarantee our shipments. If you do not receive the laser pointer, we will either resend another laser pointer for you or refund your payment in full. As we have been sending laser pointers out for the past several months, we have not encountered any problems with the US customs.
2. Yes, all green laser pointers and portable green lasers come standard with IR filters.
3. Unfortunately, we do not provide lab results for the green laser pointers. We do, however, have lab reports ready for our portable laser units.
4. I actually suggest purchasing one of our green laser pointer units in about 2-3 weeks time... because we are coming out with a new line of green laser pointers similar to our red laser pointers. The new line of green laser pointers will have a LED indicator and a key lock on the battery cap. In addition, we will offer higher power outputs.

When you go to their website, it says, "This account has been suspended". Definitely, not a good sign of a responsible business entity.

Yeah, I just went to it too and I'm not liking that. I would've liked to review one of their high power models.

S

skylasers.net

Hi laser pointer forum members, sorry about the server issues! Our host all of a sudden disabled our account due to high CPU loads. We actually did not receive any warnings from them before they disabled our account, which, in our opinion is very unprofessional. After contacting their support department, they emailed us with this:

Server load has been high in part from excessive MySQL usage by this account. Since Dec18, this account has examined 8,268,778,308,633,242,624 rows (4,134,389,154,316,621,312/day), taking 221 CPU seconds (110/day). Anything above about 5 billion rows or 70,000 CPU seconds per day is considered excessive for a shared hosting environment....

At the moment, we're switching to a stronger host able to handle our scripts. Sorry for any inconvenience, we'll get things back up and running as soon as possible.

LMAO...Four Quintillion rows per day???

How on earth is MySQL capable of 20 quadrillion accesses per second?  Even at a constant 24-hour access, that's 48 trillion accesses per second!

They're full of something...either a pile of dung or the fastest supercomputer ever constructed.  Move on.

jwc

I agree with phoenix3200; that seems like a highly abnormal number of rows to traverse.  I'm guessing that either they are deceiving you or they just don't know what they are talking about.

If you guys need very powerful hosting capabilities, you might want to consider VPS hosting.  VPS (virtual private server) gives you a virtual machine with your choice of OS and everything.  Then, you can run whatever kinds of services you want (web, mail, ftp, etc.). I have set up a bunch of these before, and they're not too difficult.