Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SkyLasers 400mW Green Portable Laser

djra

I agree with, styropyro about the IR filter.

But if I can see the graph before I buy, I am SOLD. If I buy I will do a review.

On a related note, is there anyone on these forums that i can trust to send my laser to so they can test the output mW?

styropyro said:
Even if Sky sent WackBag and hand picked unit, this review is still promising. This does prove Sky isn't a blatant scam like WarnLaser's "400mW" tiger series or whatever it is called.

But WB, could you test the unit with an IR filter just to make sure? I know it most likely has an IR filter, but you never can be too sure. Nice pics BTW.

The only IR filter I have is a tiny one I pulled out of an old webcam. It is 2mm x 2mm. I don't know how effective it would be? Also, I pointed a strong flashlight down the inner shaft and could see a lens mounted over the diode with a bluish green tint. I suspect that is the IR filter inside the lasers housing. Also, If I put the tiny IR filter I have over the aperture hole wouldn't it just obscure the beam and cause a decrease in brightness/strength? The only way I could affix it to the apertures opening would be by using scotch tape. I don't think the results would be accurate doing it in this manner. Any thoughts?

LazerGuy said:
marcuss: So you would look at the dot of a 499mW laser from about 20cm away?

Yes, if the beam is projected onto a known (to me) diffusor, Lambert's law is clear. End.

marcuss said:
[quote author=LazerGuy link=1227151611/20#29 date=1227315092]

Yes, if the beam is projected onto a known (to me) diffusor, Lambert's law is clear. End.
[/quote]

But you wouldn't look at the dot of a 501mw laser from about 20 cm away...?

WackBag said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1227151611/40#47 date=1227477427]Even if Sky sent WackBag and hand picked unit, this review is still promising. This does prove Sky isn't a blatant scam like WarnLaser's "400mW" tiger series or whatever it is called.

But WB, could you test the unit with an IR filter just to make sure? I know it most likely has an IR filter, but you never can be too sure. Nice pics BTW.

The only IR filter I have is a tiny one I pulled out of an old webcam. It is 2mm x 2mm. I don't know how effective it would be? Also, I pointed a strong flashlight down the inner shaft and could see a lens mounted over the diode with a bluish green tint. I suspect that is the IR filter inside the lasers housing. Also, If I put the tiny IR filter I have over the aperture hole wouldn't it just obscure the beam and cause a decrease in brightness/strength? The only way I could affix it to the apertures opening would be by using scotch tape. I don't think the results would be accurate doing it in this manner. Any thoughts?[/quote]
That blue tint could just be coming from the crystals, but it is more likely that it is from the IR filter. A good IR filter will take down your power readings by around 5% even if there is no IR from the laser. You could try a test with the Web Cam IR filter, and as long as the readings aren't down by a considerable amount the laser should be IR filtered.

styropyro said:
[quote author=WackBag link=1227151611/40#49 date=1227479156][quote author=styropyro link=1227151611/40#47 date=1227477427]Even if Sky sent WackBag and hand picked unit, this review is still promising. This does prove Sky isn't a blatant scam like WarnLaser's "400mW" tiger series or whatever it is called.

The only IR filter I have is a tiny one I pulled out of an old webcam.  It is 2mm x 2mm.  I don't know how effective it would be?  Also, I pointed a strong flashlight down the inner shaft and could see a lens mounted over the diode with a bluish green tint.  I suspect that is the IR filter inside the lasers housing.  Also, If I put the tiny IR filter I have over the aperture hole wouldn't it just obscure the beam and cause a decrease in brightness/strength?  The only way I could affix it to the apertures opening would be by using scotch tape.  I don't think the results would be accurate doing it in this manner.  Any thoughts?[/quote]
That blue tint could just be coming from the crystals, but it is more likely that it is from the IR filter. A good IR filter will take down your power readings by around 5% even if there is no IR from the laser. You could try a test with the Web Cam IR filter, and as long as the readings aren't down by a considerable amount the laser should be IR filtered.[/quote]

I thought of a neat IR test tool :)  My computer has a USB IR receiver that is used for the Windows Media Center remote control.  So I picked up my LaserGlow Aries which by unscrewing the heat sink you can visually see the IR filter epoxied to the top of the module.  I pointed it at the sensor and the small red indicator light did not illuminate :)  Next I picked up my cheap 100mW (really about 65mW's) Ebay laser pointer that I am positive has no IR filter and pointed it at the sensor...the red led indicator light flashed like a nuclear bomb just detonated ;D  So next I picked up the SKYLaser PGL-400 and pointed it at the receiver and guess what?   NO red led indicator light was illuminating :)  Just for kicks I pulled out my DX Romisen 30mW green laser and gave it a try...the receivers led lit up like a Christmas light ;D ;D  So I feel fairly certain the SKYLaser has an IR filter!  :D

Update: I just received word about a discount code for LPF members and also a decent discount on their 5mW/20mW green laser pointers. I'll post the info in the Deals/Discounts section of the forum :)

Randomer3 said:
[quote author=marcuss link=1227151611/40#50 date=1227483432][quote author=LazerGuy link=1227151611/20#29 date=1227315092]

[/quote]

But you wouldn't look at the dot of a 501mw laser from about 20 cm away...?[/quote]

I would, but not all people make calculations, generally one needs to follow safety protocols for each different class. It's important to specify the correct class when selling a laser, an eventual injury could result in serious legal problems.

:)

LOL what is the point of spamming smileys?????

On topic: that laser seems to be quite powerful and spends a good amount of time in the class IV area. If they really allow you to "handpick" your laser from their results and with the combination of the 10% discount, gonna have to give skylasers a look.

HMC

What laser is better the herc 300 or the sky 400 ? (Absoulute newbie spending around $2000 ).
Bought megalaseruk 300mw green . burns matches 1" away after 5 seconds. (lame). scycle 15 seconds on 10 seconds off.
Anyway now i have the bug and I want a real one :).
any info appreciated. thnks.

HMC said:
What laser is better the herc 300 or the sky 400 ? (Absoulute newbie spending around $2000 ).
Bought megalaseruk 300mw green . burns matches 1" away after 5 seconds. (lame). scycle 15 seconds on 10 seconds off.
Anyway now i have the bug and I want a real one :).
wow i think you got scammed. a true 300mw green laser can light a match 10-feet away in under 5 seconds, no need to say 1-inch.

HMC said:
Anyway now i have the bug and I want a real one  :).

I would go with the Sky 400. I like its design, and Skylasers has some good reveiews by now, so you shouldn't worry if they are legit or not.

The herc is HUGE, more like a baseball bat than a portable laser. I wouldn't buy it, it would be too bulky to use it. I like more compact lasers.

HMC

Thank's for the input.
I think i'll go with the sky 400 due to the portability and the fact that it has a built in focusing lense.
Although the focusable lense may take a little extra effort focusing when burning at different distances it wont matter because thats just part of the fun.
Also if the beam spreads far enough it can be used as a flashlight. :)