Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Skylasers 35mw green laser pointer - comprehensive review

I've been searching for a powerful green laser pointer for some time now and have done quite a bit of research on google and on this forum. I really think I've read almost every post on this forum and have learned lots about lasers. :thanks:!!

I ended up buying a 35mw green laser pointer from a newer company called Skylasers. I saw a couple posts about them on this forum in the past. The 35mw green laser pointer was $99.99 plus $21.99 shipping. I actually thought shipping was kind of expensive, but then the package arrived in 2 days so I'm not going to complain about that. The UPS guy pulled up at my house at around 4:30 pm to drop off the package. Here is what the package looks like.

3660500710_452f956c70.jpg

I was very excited as I wasn't expecting it to arrive for another week or so. I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a knife to open everything with. I also picked up my camera from my room so I can document the opening of the laser. Inside the UPS bag was a cardboard box which I slit open immediately.

3659702773_458ecaa48c.jpg

3659702119_bbc5164c30.jpg

Inside the cardboard box was packing paper, a letter from the company regarding how to operate the laser, and the laser itself. All in all, the laser was nicely packed in bubble wrap outside and within the tin can casing.

3659701567_b9b13c3960.jpg

3660498658_750c2ee9d7.jpg

Here are some pictures I took of the actual laser itself. Unlike other lasers I've seen, the color of this laser pointer is white. The overall feel of the laser pointer was quite good, it's metal and feels solid. Inside the tin can casing, there is the laser pointer, a battery cap and a key to operate the laser. One thing I wasn't so sure about was the fact that the laser and the battery cap was packed separately inside. The tin can box seems to be too small for the laser pointer with the battery cap twisted on. This is just a minor detail, so no biggie. It could be that they want me to remove the batteries every time I place the laser back into the tin box?

3660497118_141c4bcb2b.jpg

3659698477_1b6f0ca98a.jpg

One of the reasons I chose Skylasers is because their laser pointers come with a LED indicator and adjustable power. You can adjust the power of the laser between a high power and low power setting. Luckily for me, I always keep batteries around the house so I had several new AAA batteries to stick into the laser pointer. According to the letter that came with the laser, I stuck the 2 batteries in negative end first.

3659697151_f238aa5174.jpg

3660494356_c420f117c4.jpg

3660502110_11495fdd65.jpg

The switch on the battery cap can be adjusted by using the key provided in the package. You have to match the notch of the key with the groove on the battery cap. Twisting the key, you can actually feel the three positions kind of click in place. When the arrow is pointed to the middle or green position, the laser is in high power. When the arrow is pointed to the yellow dot, the laser is in low power. When the arrow is pointed to the red dot, the laser actually does not turn on at all. This is suppose to be a safety feature of the laser to prevent kids from turning the laser on accidentally.

3660493580_bc8a686635.jpg

3660495732_1872a3fe5a.jpg

The button of the laser pointer is very responsive. When the button is pressed, a very bright laser beam exits the laser. The red LED also lights up. When you release the button, the laser turns off. You cannot see the laser beam in the first picture so I tried taking one in complete darkness. The picture didn't come out all that well but I posted it for everyone to look at anyway.

3659697759_a8f559becb.jpg

3659730785_3f2ac28d50.jpg

As I'm just a teacher, I do not have any laser equipment to test the actual power of this laser pointer. This is also my first laser pointer so I do not have any references as to how bright this laser is suppose to be. What I know is that this laser is very very bright. I pointed the laser outside at night and you can actually see the laser beam. Very bright. Very neat. The dot at the end of the laser beam is very bright at high power, almost not bearable with the naked eye when viewed against a white wall. I switched the laser to low-power and it was much better for the eyes.

3659730847_721d940de8.jpg

My overall experience with the company had been positive. I emailed them twice before buying the laser and both times, the emails were answered within a day. I placed the order directly on their website which offered payment through paypal. This is actually the easiest form of payment for me. I received an invoice in my mailbox right away. When I woke up the next day, I had received an email stating my laser was shipped. Within the same email was the tracking number to my package. Even before I had the chance to track the package, the UPS guy was knocking on my door.

I know this laser doesn't do any of the cool burning tricks. I just wanted something bright and shinny for school, hiking and star pointing so this is perfect. I had wanted to take some pictures of this laser at night but I didn't get the chance to get any good shots. I'm heading out on a trip next week so I'll update this post with new pictures when I get back!

Last edited:

k1kb0t

Great review and nice clear pictures. Thanks for sharing and your a great example that searching works.

Jon

Jaseth

A very very nice first review! Good and detailed, very easy to read and understand and some nice pictures.
That looks like a great laser, I like the idea of an ON/LOW/OFF keyswitch. The beam visibility and the dot being almost too bright to look at indicates that it is as powerful as advertised.
Good job on lurking the forums too, I think you will be a great addition here with your professional attitude :gj::kewlpics:

That earns a little rep boost from me.

good review.. but if you read all post.. you know that you could buy for a ......cheap price.... a TRUE 50mw from dealextreme or ledshoppe....and o-like 99 dollars for a 35mw... is not so good :) but... if it is what you want.... ok :)

Nice review! It looks like a pretty good quality laser. I've heard mixed reviews from Sky...

that laser right there looks like its worth 125 bucks.
its in a totally different class from the other "generic" looking lasers

good review!

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! :beer:

I actually did look into buying from dealextreme and o-like, these seem like the most popular sites on the forum at the moment. I remember reading something about green lasers needing to have an ir filter? As the cheaper green laser pointers did not have this, I went with a company that did. I will be using this laser mostly at school to point to my head projector so I wanted something "safe". I actually brought the laser with me to school yesterday and my students loved it. I showed the laser to several teachers in the department, I hope no one tries to steal my laser!