Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Skylaser PL445 Battery Question

I've searched around the forums for an answer so I apologize if this has already been answered at some point...

I'm about to purchase a PL 445 2w from laserbtb and noticed the description states that it uses 2 pieces of 16340 batteries. Does anyone know if this unit will accept 18350 batteries as well? I already have a bunch of 18350 Efest cells for use in my e-cigs but would like to ensure I have suitable batteries on hand when my laser arrives.

It looks like the host of the PL 445 and PL 532 are the same and since the 532 accepts 18650 cells I would think the 445 should be able to accept 2 18350 flat tops. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks for any help!

I don't know for sure but i would guess that it would be OK, as the PL host accepts 18650 batteries.

So the thickness is OK, just about the length. How much breathing room is there when you use two 16340? If there is any you should be fine :)

:beer:
-Matt

Zeebit

The search results tell me that you can use 18350 cells in the PL series host.

Thanks for the input guys :)

I don't actually have the laser yet so I can't test it out. If the diameter of the host is the same then 2 18350 flat tops should work since they're the same length as 1 18650 nipple top. Makes you wonder why they'd even recommend 16340's as the default batteries since they generally offer lower capacities...

I can confirm that with ICR 16340s there's definitely wiggle room, both on the sides and at the tail cap.

I actually had to reseat mine in the 445 once as they'd wiggled so much the connection was breaking and flickering on and off.

Last edited:
That's interesting.. It almost sounds like 18350's may be more suitable for use in this laser. Since it uses the same body as the PL 532 which takes 18650's, then 18350's should be the choice when going stacked. I have an e-cig that takes either 1 18650 cell or 2 stacked 18350's for extra kick and the fit/dimensions are identical.

It sounds like the 18350's would offer more reliable contact as well as longer run times in this unit.

I may well purchase some 18350s after reading what I've seen here.

Let us know how you get on with 18350s in your laser.

I received my PL-445 2000mw yesterday and only had my Efest 18350 flat top batteries on hand. They fit perfectly! They aren't tight fitting at all as there's still a small amount of play with the diameter. The tail cap screws all the way in without any issue as well. In my opinion 18350's are the ideal battery to use in this laser and not 16340's. They even fit well in the provided 16340 charger!

I should also mention I'm very pleased with the laser. The quality is excellent and I received everything in great shape and in a timely manner with a total of 4 days processing and 3 days shipping. I only wish I had a LPM to test the output power...

Overall a great experience with LaserBTB!

that's excellent, x2 the fact that they fit in the laserbtb charger. I shall have to get some 18350s... damn I can't seem to stop spending money this month.

Given the amount of room to spare even with 18350's I don't understand why they recommend 16340 batteries in these units as I can imagine there would be excessive play that may cause temporary breaks in contact. Who knows...

I also have some nipple top versions of the same battery that I will try out in the laser and charger when I get home. I'm pretty sure they will fit just fine as well.

If you're looking for some 18350's I'd recommend either Efest or AW batteries as they tend to be about the best quality out there and their mAh ratings are not overstated like many other brands. I wonder if the quality and discharge capability of the batteries used in these high powered lasers actually affects the overall performance? I really need to get a LPM to test these things...

I've ordered 2 AWs :)

Hella expensive but we here at LPF love them. I would have got the Efest one but with a high drain laser like the 445 I didn't want to skimp at all. I'm also not convinced the flat top will offer as good a connection as a nipple top 18350. I constantly run out of juice and at the moment if I'm using both lasers I don't actually have spares for the 445, so I can use my current set of 16340s as spares for when the 18350s drain. (Moar play time).

And yes, battery performance will affect laser output by some margin, but lasers tend to be fairly digital in that they're either on or off. Interestingly, I can tell when the batteries in my HL532 are about to die as the output drops off slightly and it then hops across all kinds of modes, then dies about 10 seconds later.

Last edited:
Yeah you can't go wrong with AW's!

I can also confirm the nipple top 18350's fit perfectly in the laser and charger as well.

It's definitely nice to have a second set of batteries on hand. I normally get a day and a half of chain vaping with my e-cig on these batteries but this laser kills them dead in about 10 minutes flat! Not continuous of course...

Last edited:
My 18350s arrived today. I thought they were fake at first, as the little oval AW logo is just a sticker! Sure enough I checked my 16340s and it's the same.

What can I say? They fit in the laser host like they're made for it. No rattling around inside it like the 16340s and the tailcap fits on more snugly as they're a touch longer too. What's more, they give added capacity, roughly equal to ICR 16340s. It's without a doubt then that these hosts are really designed for the 18350/18650 form factor. I suspect laserbtb just recommend the 16340s as they're easier to get hold of and a lot of their other lasers use them.

I'll be recommending 18350s to any prospective buyer of these lasers and linking this thread. Have some +rep!

Thanks!

That's great to hear they're working out well for you. I suspect you are correct and the 16340 batteries are only recommended because they are a standard commercial battery size. It seems the 18350 battery is more of a "hobby" size based off the concept of roughly halving the size of an 18650. So for any body/host that accepts 18650's, whenever going stacked, 18350's will always be the better choice.

Last edited:
Given the amount of room to spare even with 18350's I don't understand why they recommend 16340 batteries in these units as I can imagine there would be excessive play that may cause temporary breaks in contact. Who knows...

I also have some nipple top versions of the same battery that I will try out in the laser and charger when I get home. I'm pretty sure they will fit just fine as well.

If you're looking for some 18350's I'd recommend either Efest or AW batteries as they tend to be about the best quality out there and their mAh ratings are not overstated like many other brands. I wonder if the quality and discharge capability of the batteries used in these high powered lasers actually affects the overall performance? I really need to get a LPM to test these things...

My guess is that 16340s are more prevalent and easier to source than 18350s. That and the limitation of the 16340 in capacity may reduce runtime on the device out of longevity reasons. 16340 = RCR123A, walk back two years and ask for 18350s you'll almost certainly get a blank look.

trencheel303, where did you source your AWs from?

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@illuminum3415 - One source for 18350 batteries is Lighthound; they are $7.99ea. I have bought from them in the past, no problems. I'm not sure where you are located, but Lighthound is located in Texas, so, no long shipping times from China. :yh:

Last edited: