Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SKYLaser Green 300mW OVERSPEC Handheld Laser (MANY PICTURES)

AMN

SKYLASER 300mW GREEN 532nm HANDHELD LASER

ofbn8k.jpg

Use the following code at checkout to receive a 10% discount - 716513518239

Before I start, I'd like to apologise in advance for the poor quality on some of the pictures.
The laser body/beam looks better in real life.​

SKYLaser

Okay, I want to start off by talking about the company - SKYLaser.
They are no longer running their US agency. Now they are skylaser.cn (where you can find laser specifications) and laserbtb.com (where the lasers can be purchased).
It was very interesting dealing with SKYLaser as not many people around here were familiar with them.
There were, however, bits and pieces of information I had collected, and the general message I got from reading everything was that SKYLasers wasn't the safest option.
In the end I did decide to take a risk with them and I am very happy that I did.
I would definitely recommend SKYLaser.

I first emailed them from the 'Contact Us' section on laserbtb.com, I got a reply very soon.
Then I thought it'd be easier to communicate via Windows Live Messenger if they do actually maintain that account.
It turned out they do, and well, Instant Messaging customer service is just great.
SKYLaser is amongst the best companies in terms of customer service that I've ever dealt with.
All my questions were answered promptly.
Also, at my request they even installed an IR filter into my unit and measured the power output and sent me the document before shipping out the laser.

2i12l5g.png

As you can see, this laser is over 40% OVERSPEC! :drool:
And they confirmed that this was after the installation of the IR filter. :D

Shipping & Packaging

They have two delivery options - DHL and EMS.
I opted for DHL at $23.55
I have heard bad things about DHL, but shipping was reasonably fast.
I was given a tracking number as soon as it was available, and the tracking page was updated frequently.
The payment was processed Friday the 10th of February.
It was collected the next day on 02/11/12, and arrived on Tuesday the 14th.

vfgzra.jpg

It was packaged well with sufficient protection and was undamaged.

28vrpdi.jpg

It comes in a nice box. It is not a cheap cardboard box like most boxes lasers from China come in.
It's just a box, but these little things do reflect the standard of the company.

21ouhj4.jpg

The box has perfect cut-outs for the laser, battery, and keys.
It didn't come with a battery. I believe DHL prohibit the shipment of lithium batteries. But no matter, I had a few lying around.

The Laser Body/Host

aowb9z.jpg

I must say, this feels like it is very high quality.
Right from when you hold it you can tell that it's a level above most handheld lasers.
It is pretty large and has a nice heavy feel to it.

e7kxhy.jpg

Here is a size comparison with the BudgetGadgets 100mW and a CR123A/16340 battery.

Another thing I like about this laser is the LED.
It is not too bright, but not too dim - You can clearly distinguish between when it is switched off, green, or red.

14xjeht.jpg

Switched off - Locked.

2cy4kzo.jpg

Green - Unlocked - but not emitting laser beam.

2jcixjr.jpg

Red - Unlocked - emitting laser beam.

21czblz.jpg

The keys (obviously) unlock the laser. The laser came with two keys.
There isn't much else to say about the keys.

35m184y.jpg

A shot of the tail-cap.

2nkv0hv.jpg

And another .. I must say I do love how smooth the threading is on the tail-cap.

2qvd1lg.jpg

And here is a picture of the shutter, another safety feature.
It also helps keep the lens clean, free of small particles and dust.

The Laser Output/Beam

Let me start this section with some beamshots ...

10nuv5f.jpg

35k3out.jpg

35hmmo7.jpg

First off, this laser is VERY bright!
Clearly the brightest laser I own, beating the >1W Survival Laser.
Goggles are not optional with this laser, it's so bright that I'd guess even looking at the dot on a white/shiny surface could cause damage.

The beam diameter is quite large for a 532nm laser, although it looks even larger on some of the pictures due to the unsteadiness of the camera.

zupf6v.jpg

Here is a beam comparison with the O-like 400mW 405nm laser.
It is far brighter than the purple laser, which is rated 100mW higher than it.

The divergence is good, it has good range on it too, it goes quite far.

28p56a.jpg

It seems to run in a clean TE00 most of the time, although if you adjust the dot out of focus, in the first few seconds of switching the laser on, you can notice it transforming between odd, oval like shapes.
But this is only for a few seconds and can only be noticed if the dot is inspected closely whilst unfocused.
This isn't really a problem though.
Much better beam quality than most green lasers I've seen.
And there is always a distinct, single beam.

6sxgud.jpg

Also, the focus is adjustable - the head of the laser can be turned to adjust the focus. Like the tail-cap, it feels very smooth.
Another nice thing is that when the head is completely turned to either side it is on extremes.
For example when the head is fully turned anti-clockwise, the dot is focused to 'infinity', and when turned to the maximum clockwise, it is at it's smallest a few centimetres away.

And obviously, as it is focusable, and extremely powerful, it is a great burner.
Surprisingly, despite it's not-so-thin beam, it still burns when focused to infinity, it takes some time though ..

To see this laser burning, watch the video at the end of the review. :)

Conclusion

* SKYLaser's customer service was very good.
* The shipping was speedy - took around 4 days to get to me.
* The laser quality is just amazing.
* Power is far higher than specified.
* The price is more than reasonable.
* I would highly recommend SKYLaser.

Thanks for reading!

I did spend a couple hours on the review/video, so it'd be nice if you could let me know what you think. Please do note this is my first review. :D

The Video Review:

Use the following code at checkout to receive a 10% discount - 716513518239

Last edited:

Arayan

Re: SKYLasers Green 300mW OVERSPEC Handheld Laser (MANY PICTURES)

Very nice review :gj: but why there are two thread on the same topic?? :thinking:

AMN

Very nice review :gj: but why there are two thread on the same topic?? :thinking:

Thanks!
I just realised. :oops:
I'll delete the other thread now.

Last edited:

Price ?
and why i cant enter the webpage?
edit:
im gonna buy a 100mW for test it

Last edited:

AMN

Price ?
and why i cant enter the webpage?
edit:
im gonna buy a 100mW for test it

The prices are on the link right at the top of the review.
The Green 532nm Handheld comes in different powers.
50mW - $44.27
100mW - $54.95
150mW - $108.33
200mW - $141.30
300mW - $188.40

That's great! It would be nice if you could post a little review when you get it.
And if you are talking about the Youtube video, you can't access it as it is still processing, but check back soon if you want - should be done shortly.

Last edited:

is this focusable or fixed?

WOW! that is a great price breakdown they have there. Also how did you get 40% overspec? It looks to have an average output of around 375mW which is 25%. Which is still great! Never mind, I just looked back at the graph. You don't really need to take into account the first 20 seconds in which the LPM is stabilizing and the laser is warming up.
Could you measure the beam diameter for me?

good review, really like that host, that's a sick beam shot in the last photo...;)

Great review, and a very nicely overspec laser:drool:

Can you please measure divergence and post beam diameter as well?

I'm always on the hunt for another green... might just give skylasers a shot:p

AMN

is this focusable or fixed?

The focus is adjustable.

WOW! that is a great price breakdown they have there. Also how did you get 40% overspec? It looks to have an average output of around 375mW which is 25%. Which is still great! Never mind, I just looked back at the graph. You don't really need to take into account the first 20 seconds in which the LPM is stabilizing and the laser is warming up.

Yeah, there are many options, and the low powered ones are at a good price and the chances are they'll be overspec. Also, I was saying the peak @441mW is 40% above the specified 300mW, but you're right, it's not stable at that. I've never measured beam diameter before, but I'll get around to it soon.

good review, really like that host, that's a sick beam shot in the last photo...;)

Thanks, I'm used to cheap hosts, so for me it was a very pleasant surprise! :D

Great review, and a very nicely overspec laser:drool:

Can you please measure divergence and post beam diameter as well?

I'm always on the hunt for another green... might just give skylasers a shot:p

Thank you! :)

I haven't ever measured beam diameter nor divergence, though I'll probably get around to it soon and update this thread.

Everyone, the video is done processing. Please do take a look at it. :)

Last edited:

Paddy

Great review!
I'm assuming you bought it from the "laserbtb" site (can't find an option to buy on the other site)
Do you have a LPM?
I'm so tempted to order one of these right now but i have a niggling in the back of my mind thinking they could have just made the graph up.

AMN

Great review!
I'm assuming you bought it from the "laserbtb" site (can't find an option to buy on the other site)
Do you have a LPM?
I'm so tempted to order one of these right now but i have a niggling in the back of my mind thinking they could have just made the graph up.

Thanks!
Yeah, you can purchase their lasers from laserbtb.com, not skylaser.cn - but you can get the specifications on their laser on the latter.
I don't currently have a Laser Power Meter, but I'm thinking of getting one soon.
I would say go for it. The quality on the laser is very good.
And I am almost certain that laser is overspec - and I am pretty confident that is the true power output.
I hope you have a good experience with SKYLasers, like I did.
And if you have Windows Live Messenger, I'd suggest you communicate with them there and request an IR filter if you want.
You will find they are very nice, and the service is very good.

Last edited:

GREAT review with pics and the ever important power graph.......Thanks for sharing +1

AMN

GREAT review with pics and the ever important power graph.......Thanks for sharing +1

Thanks for reading! :beer:
I'll try and get better pictures next review though.
I'm planning on doing more reviews in the near future.
I have found that certain reviews have been really helpful to me and enjoyable to read, so I hope to produce such reviews for others! :)

Last edited:

Nice review of your new Laser....:gj:
Glad to see other Laser Sellers starting to supply Power
graphs with their products...

The word is OVERspec not UNDERspec like WL products....:crackup::crackup:
Even ONspec is great....

Jerry

Last edited:

I also had a good experience with these guys. I bought a 150mW pointer. You can check out my review if you would like.

Review