Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sky Lanterns $4 each

nobody

For those that have used these... What kind of fire hazard do these present when the flame burns out. Is there glowing hot ash that will plummet back to earth, etc. Also, how easily do the flames blow out if the thing gets caught in a gust and blown down to earth. The look really cool and fun but we're in a drought here and I'm thinking I'd have to wait until much wetter weather to launch one.

S

SenKat

Jeff ! I FINALLY LAUNCHED ONE ! Wooo-hooooo ! Here is a video - pardon the "ferench" in part of it, when I smacked myself in the nose with the camera ! LOL !!!

All - these things are simply GORGEOUS to behold !

http://stonetek.org/LPF/skylantern.wmv

OR - I will upload it here, as well :) It is kinda big, for those with dial up - sorry about that !

Attachments

• skylantern.wmv
    12.4 MB · Views: 40
G !

Nice video -- That's what they look like ;D

As you saw -- Be sure to hold on untill its hot and lots of lift -- They look so nice---- And suddenly - - Gone.

Mike

Chu

I wonder if it's possible to tie a string to the lantern and then be able to pull it back down once it's out of sight.

Things

i think the weight of the string will stop it from flying? i don't know how much lift these things have, but carrying string might be a bit much?

Things

i just watched the vid, and those things are really big! i didn't expect them to be that big!! who was shining the laser? it looks really powerful?

Things

haha don't you think it's abit dangerous to be launching fireballs into the air? ;D ;D ;Dsorry for all the posts ;)

S

SenKat

Well, we had just had a nice rain storm - and despite my wife's worries that we would be on the 11pm news for starting an inferno someplace....we were all good ! :) They do NOT come back down until all the hot air is gone.....and that means (unlike MY supply of hot air that NEVER runs out ! LOL) until the fire is OUT - and even for a little while after that, they are going to continue to rise ! Once the hot air is gone, I imagine they deflate a tad bit, and tumble gently back down to earth....The area I live in is very mountainous - and what you all did not see on the video since I whacked myself in the nose with the camera (hahahahaha !) is that it kept on going up and up for quite a while ! I was spotting it with my laser even after the fire went out - which was making it iluminate FAR AWAY and look incredible ! I figured I would try to get as much of a plug in for Jeff as possible - he deserves the advertising for bringing these incredible items to the forum ! THANKS JEFF !!!!

Daedal

That looks very nice and really seems to go WAY out there!

Now you're making me want some of these! ;D

Thanks for bringing this Jeff... and expect an order in soon :)

--DDL

The instructions state not to connect anything to the lantern. I suppose that on a calm night, a silk thread might bring one back.
I release a helium balloon first to watch winds aloft.

Mike

Gazoo

Just don't burn a hole through it with your herc.. ;D