Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single mode and multi mode

gozert

Could someone explain me how I can tell whether a diode is single mode or multi mode? I've been looking at datasheets of several high and lower wattage/wavelength diodes but I can't seem to figure it out. I searched the forum before making my thread, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Hmmm.. I've seen diode data sheets list it. If I recall correctly, it may be under the transverse mode.

USAbro

Can't one tell from the beam characteristics? I could be wrong though.

It isn't always easy to tell. The
multimode 5mW 638s don't look any different
from single mode. Usually it's obvious,
though. There will be visible mode lines
and artifacts. Just search for pictures of
M140 and P73 dots. That will give you a
good idea. Unless you're talking
longitudinal mode which is completely
different and can only be seen with a high
res spectrometer.

gozert

It isn't always easy to tell. The
multimode 5mW 638s don't look any different
from single mode. Usually it's obvious,
though. There will be visible mode lines
and artifacts. Just search for pictures of
M140 and P73 dots. That will give you a
good idea. Unless you're talking
longitudinal mode which is completely
different and can only be seen with a high
res spectrometer.

The problem with measuring it by myself is that I can't tell if a diode is single or multi-mode when I order it online. I know that pretty much all 405nm diodes are single mode, but when it comes to 638 and 445nm I get lost.

rhd

Datasheets will all indicate the info you're looking for.

Give us an example of a datasheet you've looked at that doesn't seem to indicate mm vs sm, and we'll tell you where it's listed.

gozert

405 - it is an earlier version of violet diodes. They can have an elliptical beam with a small side effect. Like clipping on the cap exit hole or on an edge of the waveguide.

635 - I have those. It produces a nice beam. Focuses to a dot. If you know what parameters are important to you I could look in more details.

Multimode vs single mode => you shall say why you care about them. To get a pure single mode lasing is not that simple as it means a very narrow spectra (a single longitudinal mode) and a single spatial mode (though it can be not only a perfect TEM00)

An older thread on the topic http://laserpointerforums.com/f54/single-mode-multi-mode-laser-diodes-53695.html

Last edited:
Can you please enlighten us a bit more?

What effect do longitudinal modes have on spatial modes?

This page seems to state otherwise. Semiconductor Lasers | Photonics Handbook®

I stated that a single mode operation is when a laser emits a single transverse (spatial) mode and a single longitudinal mode at the same time. :na:

What effect do longitudinal modes have on spatial modes?

Spatial modes (even if they all are TEM00) will have different wavelengths (different longitudinal modes). In general a single spatial mode operation is achieved by inserting an aperture (easy), and a single longitudinal mode inserting etalons (difficult). With laser diodes things are more complicated :can:

Last edited: