Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple technique to anodize Titanium, almost free!

I found this after googling to see if titanium could be anodized easily. I recently purchased a host from Sinner for my 1w 520nm diode purchased from DTR. I got Sinner to do a custom host turned in Titanium with a copper core on the business end. I was in the process of asking Mrcouse if he could anodize titanium when I found the following "Instructable"

Anodize Titanium!

I haven't looked any further into it yet but it looks very cool, a whole spectrum of colors just by varying the voltage. I'm wondering if this will work for any other bright silver metal like aluminum, steel, or any of the various aluminum/titanium alloys available. Anyone seen this done before or have any insight as to whether or not it will work on other metals besides titanium?

I am going to give it a try on my Titanium host Sinner is sending me. Worse case scenario is it turns out looking like crap and I just have to polish off the mistake. Once I've done it I will put a step by step photo series of the process right here below. I've got a 24v 5a power supply I was going to use with a series of 9v batteries to get me to the green range. Should take about 10-11 9v cells IIRC added to my power supply to get the voltage in the green spectrum, then I will use the variable power supply to dial in the exact color. I'm shooting for a green as close to the 520nm 1w diode the host will hold.

Lastly, anyone familiar with this process know if this is like the real anodizing process that once I've got my color I will need to seal the finish? I really don't know if this is true anodizing or some other sort of chemical colorant reaction that just deposits some sort of pigment or other process that causes the coloration to occur. I would love for someone around here with knowledge of what this is actually doing to pipe in on it.

Regardless of how it works it is interesting enough to me I am willing to give it a whirl and post my results here. It will be later next week until I get the host and have the time to experiment with it so stay tuned of your interested.

Cheers,
Jmillerdoc

A newer switching light dimmer and a rectifier / filter
might make a simple power supply.
CAUTION -- This is not isolated from the mains.
HMike

I used to do a lot of this, I used a isolation variable transformer and used the power right off the trans. AC. It's a good tutorial.
Coke gives great results.
Hope this helps.
Ed

Last edited:

IsaacT

I cannot wait to see your Titanium host Jmiller. I love Titanium and may be having a different sort of Ti host made for a coming up build. Gonna have to probably recover a bit from the Copper host Sinner is making me now though, as it was not cheap lol.