Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple Question About 16340 Batteries

Peyton H

Hi. I’m very new to this and this forum. If this question is already answered I apologize. Hey looked and could not find it. I was wondering if charging these type of batteries between cycles is ok. I know that this is ok for phone batteries but I’m not familiar with the similarities/differences between types of lithium ion batteries.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 2

My understanding is for most Li-ion batteries is you can recharge them regardless of being drawn down from use, either 10% or 90%, it won't matter. The life of a Li-ion battery is reduced by the number of full cycles of draining and recharging, integrals also reduce the life but by a proportional amount, so it won't make any difference. Can you give the manufacturer info, perhaps some cheap Li-ions perform differently, but this is the general rule as I understand it.

Look like you hav ultra fire cells in that charger
Trash those buy good cells like Efest or AW and a good charger like a nitecore or something
Those fire cells are risky business why do you think they have the word fire in them
💥 BOOM !!! Rich:)

I'll second that. in general steer clear of any batteries that have fire in the name other than Windyfire. You'll notice a difference in longevity with efest batteries compared to ultrafire. I mean between charges, not death by explosion, although thats possible with ultrafire. If you need a reliable source for batteries mtnelectronics.com only sells quality batteries. Also check out their chargers. Having the ability to charge at a lower current will take longer to charge but will prolong the overall life of your batteries. A good charger like the xtar xp4 will let you set the charge current to .25A or .5A which is what you want for 16340. It's worth the small investment imo. I'm sure others can provide you more sources.

If you live in the US look at liionwholesales.com. They are now selling 16340 batteries and are a very trustworthy retailer. You can find these in capacities up to 800 mAh, but the ones I have are closer to 700 mAh. They test every cell right before shipping them out, so you can feel confident that you will receive brand new cells that are at or above the rated capacity. You will have to pay for shipping, so it is better to buy as many batteries as you think you might need in the future.